Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Long-term Planning

I am a nursery teacher and, following advice from an EYAT, am in the process of overhauling my planning. I wondered if anyone can give advice/examples. Until recently I had long/medium and short-term plans as follows:

long-term was an overview of topics and areas of learning for each half-term

medium-term planning showed the half-termly topic broken down into the weekly focus and

short-term planning showed what would be covered over the course of the week (not very child-friendly, I know)

So all is now in the process of change.

I think I've got to grips with the environmental map and PLODs (short-term plan)

Also, the medium-term plan - an A4 sheet for each activity (e.g. book corner, sand, water, dough etc) with the relevant development matters statements, resources and role of the adult. A unchanging document (unless new toys/equipment/areas are added).

Now, LONG-TERM PLANNING: I have been told that it should be no more than a calendar of events for the year. But I would like to go a little further than that - perhaps have a proforma to divide the year into the six 'terms' showing perhaps school activities (e.g. World Book Week, school photographer etc), Visitors, Festivals and celebrations etc.

Does anyone plan in a similar way and, if so, have an example that I could adapt/adopt?

Any comments re planning would be very welcome!

I too am in the process of overhauling the planning at my setting.

I had a recent visit from out local development officer regading this subject and was told that I need not continue with my long term plan or medium term plan!.

I am still trying to get my head round it as it seems like e aredoing away with a lot of work.

We have continuous provision sheets on each activity which I was told would suffice for long term planning! and have been told that all planning should be based on childrens interest and ideas!. so there should only be a bare minimum shown on weekly plan which is adapted by all staff members ass and when the children do something new. I was also told to carry on with the adult led activity plans.

Still cannot qite get the idea of not having hardly any paperwork.

I am still trying to convince staff teamas they too ask how are we going to cover the areas of development that they are working on with the child as we also set targets under each heading in their profiles. (It was sugested that we change this too! and instead of targets have a child interest sheet each term).

I too am as confused as you,

Guest Spiral

same here! We've just had the same for our local authority advisor - staff have now been using the system for one term and feeling the paperwork is maybe a little too minimal!

I have a 'longer term plan' that reflects celebrations and some planned events for the next two years, but it is highly changeable according to the ethnicity of the children as the advisor stated we have to look closely at their backgrounds (whether mum/dad wanted that or not!)

Interesting thread, I'll certainly be watching this as I do feel a little confused (and especially as Ofsted will be questioning me, not the LA advisor!)

Spiral :-)

I too am in the process of overhauling the planning at my setting.

I had a recent visit from out local development officer regading this subject and was told that I need not continue with my long term plan or medium term plan!.

I am still trying to get my head round it as it seems like e aredoing away with a lot of work.

We have continuous provision sheets on each activity which I was told would suffice for long term planning! and have been told that all planning should be based on childrens interest and ideas!. so there should only be a bare minimum shown on weekly plan which is adapted by all staff members ass and when the children do something new. I was also told to carry on with the adult led activity plans.

Still cannot qite get the idea of not having hardly any paperwork.

I am still trying to convince staff teamas they too ask how are we going to cover the areas of development that they are working on with the child as we also set targets under each heading in their profiles. (It was sugested that we change this too! and instead of targets have a child interest sheet each term).

I too am as confused as you,

That too Spiral is my worry, we are due a visit and if they turn up at the moment I worry that I will sound really thick!!!.

quick question? my team are wondering if we are plannign to childrens interest then do we do away with planned themes? and just cover festivals and celebrations?. I would like to continue with some themes as I do feel it gives a base! . how do you do yours if you dont mind me asking.

Guest Spiral

That's my question too!

So far in practice it seems the staff write something onto the weekly plan from the children's interest and I then go off shopping and getting the resource ready asap - then the child ignores it all and another child gains, but hey ho, as long as they enjoy it.

I am really worried about looking thick to ofsted too!

Spiral x

We had a long term plan which showed celebrations and loose themes and linked to the 6 areas of learning.

We were advised to take off the linke to learning (which I kind of agree and disagree with- I worry that we wont cover all aspects of learning - but can also see that one area of learning cant be taught in isolation to the others- I do believe that a lot of it is down to the staff knowledge)

They suggetsed we keep loose themes as a way of introducing new kills and knowledge (which we do like as it makes the environment more interetsing- with ours anyway!- again if you have inexperienced pratitoners this gies them some support and hand holding)

The themes they suggested we keep are

The seasons,

All about me (Sept/Oct

Growing (March/April)

Christmas (Nov/Dec)

the children all seem to ove mini beats so have added them in!

We then have Continious prov shees in each workshop area, ie Book area, graphics, role play/home corner, creative etc these are large a3 sheets (they are so many in the resources area) shows what the children can possibly learn whilst in the area and the adult role, continious resources and possible enhancements- these never change apart from when we add new resources.

Medium term plan- well they say we dont need it- again agree but we do obe to support the staff we have a mind map of possible activities for the loose theme, these are stories, creative ideas, visits and visitors etc (But this can be a waste of time if you dont follow it!)

We found recently hat we might need another piece of paper to show when we might do the activities .Otherwise we get what has happened this week and they sprung it on me that they want to go Lambing- Hello" I cant just drop everything and go to the farm!

So certain paperwork is surely needed for organisational purposes!

The other part of our medium term plan is a sheet with the 6 areas in it - one for each child - on here we record their next steps over the next half term - we do it over 8 wweeks as it works better for us as we are open all year.

The problem we do have it getting this info onto a weekly plan! So we split the children into 4 weeks and focus on them for their learning and focus obersvations during their week!

Weekly planning,

We have a keyperson activity each session- the keyperson will plan an activity or just some time to spend with their key child/children - if an activity is planned all children are able to join in , but it has been planned with certain children in mind

We also have a weekly plan to show any enhancements we are adding for the week to the workshop areas We might add a challenge to cover an aspect, ie a learning objective for the week (based n a group of chilrens needs might be To understand the space needed to carryout a task, to move with control blah blah- we might plan to hav an assualt course to support this aspect.

Its hard to explain your planning to someoe isnt it- but I hope this has helped- someone- I am always asking for help with planning as we have so many different people in who "suggest" we change things!!! and it confuses us and knocks out confidence.

Good luck!

That's my question too!

So far in practice it seems the staff write something onto the weekly plan from the children's interest and I then go off shopping and getting the resource ready asap - then the child ignores it all and another child gains, but hey ho, as long as they enjoy it.

I am really worried about looking thick to ofsted too!

Spiral x

I am SO glad I am not alone! I too have Ofsted due in September (this has been delayed for two years!).

I decided to change the way I plan after the Easter break but trialled the short-term plan a couple of weeks ago. It has made planning a whole lot easier, I just need to become more confident that reduced planning does not mean reduced standards - on the contrary, I suppose, because I am planning around the children and not around what I want for them.

So now it's the Easter hols and I am usually spending most of my time planning - altering the medium-term plan that I used two years ago; in that respect I have nothing to do. My topic will be 'Wheels' - and that's it. I will provide two or three learning provocatives and see where it takes us. I read on the forum that children get much out of playing with old tyres, so I will put one tyre in the quiet room to see what the children make of it. While taking the register, I will ask a TA to put more tyres in the playground and take it from there. Any other ideas for a learning provocative around the theme of 'Wheels' would be appreciated. Having a topic, however loose, will provide the basis for a wall display.

I have the summer term to get to grips with this before THE visit in September!

Providing a variety of ramps with wheeled toys both small and large is always popular.

If you have large wooden blocks with ramps for trikes/bikes etc

Planks and a variety of wheeled toys. Encourage children to change variables (angle of slope etc) and comment on what works best, which goes furthest and why that might be.

Hi, just wanted to say a little about what we do. I chatted to Ofsted about planning when they were in for my suitability check and I was told that a list of dates and festivals was a calendar and not a long term plan! She did then go on to say that I should view the development matters as my long term plan and as long as I could verbally justify that throughout the year I was covering all of them through continuous provision and adult intervention than that was my long term plan. Eg if it reached May and I knew there were a lot of gaps in knowledge and understanding with a group of children I could explain why those gaps were there and explain how I was meeting the children's needs in that area.

So now my planning looks like

weekly plan based on children's interests and next steps

medium term plan which is the continuous provision sheets for each area of play

At the start of each term each key person fills in an interest sheet on each child and we refer to this when doing our weekly plan or update it if the children's interests have changed greatly. This is basically just a list sheet but it lets us see how many children are into the same things as well as over time showing how the child's interests change.

I went on some training last week about working with a mixed age class (reception/Y1) so I know that's not quite what you've got but thought I'd share anyway.

Long term planning:

- continuous provision sheets and

- a breakdown of topics for each half term. This did have a 'child interest' topic each half term as well but the topics helped to ensure that the KS1 children were getting coverage.

Medium term:

- a breakdown of objectives to be looked at for each area of learning plus possible activities to meet those objectives.

Short term:

- a bit epic but included lots of ideas for enhancements for child initiated activities.

LONG-TERM PLANNING: I have been told that it should be no more than a calendar of events for the year. But I would like to go a little further than that - perhaps have a proforma to divide the year into the six 'terms' showing perhaps school activities (e.g. World Book Week, school photographer etc), Visitors, Festivals and celebrations etc.

Does anyone plan in a similar way and, if so, have an example that I could adapt/adopt?

Any comments re planning would be very welcome!

Do what you want to do - it's your plan! Ofsted are more interested in children's progress because your planning is meeting needs and raising attainment, not the planning format itself.

Cx

Edited by catma

Thanks catma - I think I'll just do that! But it's good to hear how others plan. I don't know how I managed without the fsf.

Hmm, interesting one this! Looking back at how the planning has progressed over the last two years at our place is quite revealing!

Our 'long term' planning consists of events throughout the year, such as easter, st georges day and seasons for example. Also have loose backdrops like all about me, people who help etc. (without these I felt things were slipping through the net)! Add in continuous provision for each learning bay too.

My interpretation of medium term is planning from Individual Learning Plans (reviewed termly/half termly depending on progress), letters and sounds map and have also just introduced (from October) a map for weekly adult led based on the 6 areas of learning! So, each half term I create a new plan that provides 5 adult leds a week based on the aspects of the 6 areas, sounds complicated but working! The reason for this is that staff were consistently not providing activites within calculating, time etc!

Looking at the gaps we have now compared to last year it's doing it's job!

Short term consists of weekly plan for inside and out, split into learning bays, this responds to the childrens needs/interests that are recorded the previous week!

Hope that makes sense!!! For the first time I feel we are coverring everything and am confident that I can justify the lot! Of course, will have to review again in line with the 'new and improved' EYFS! :o

I think once you have pulled it apart and put it back together you know it inside and out! Will upload some examples of what I have at home later (when I unearth my hard drive, should have got a bigger one)!!!

We had a long term plan which showed celebrations and loose themes and linked to the 6 areas of learning.

We were advised to take off the linke to learning (which I kind of agree and disagree with- I worry that we wont cover all aspects of learning - but can also see that one area of learning cant be taught in isolation to the others- I do believe that a lot of it is down to the staff knowledge)

They suggetsed we keep loose themes as a way of introducing new kills and knowledge (which we do like as it makes the environment more interetsing- with ours anyway!- again if you have inexperienced pratitoners this gies them some support and hand holding)

The themes they suggested we keep are

The seasons,

All about me (Sept/Oct

Growing (March/April)

Christmas (Nov/Dec)

the children all seem to ove mini beats so have added them in!

We then have Continious prov shees in each workshop area, ie Book area, graphics, role play/home corner, creative etc these are large a3 sheets (they are so many in the resources area) shows what the children can possibly learn whilst in the area and the adult role, continious resources and possible enhancements- these never change apart from when we add new resources.

Medium term plan- well they say we dont need it- again agree but we do obe to support the staff we have a mind map of possible activities for the loose theme, these are stories, creative ideas, visits and visitors etc (But this can be a waste of time if you dont follow it!)

We found recently hat we might need another piece of paper to show when we might do the activities .Otherwise we get what has happened this week and they sprung it on me that they want to go Lambing- Hello" I cant just drop everything and go to the farm!

So certain paperwork is surely needed for organisational purposes!

The other part of our medium term plan is a sheet with the 6 areas in it - one for each child - on here we record their next steps over the next half term - we do it over 8 wweeks as it works better for us as we are open all year.

The problem we do have it getting this info onto a weekly plan! So we split the children into 4 weeks and focus on them for their learning and focus obersvations during their week!

Weekly planning,

We have a keyperson activity each session- the keyperson will plan an activity or just some time to spend with their key child/children - if an activity is planned all children are able to join in , but it has been planned with certain children in mind

We also have a weekly plan to show any enhancements we are adding for the week to the workshop areas We might add a challenge to cover an aspect, ie a learning objective for the week (based n a group of chilrens needs might be To understand the space needed to carryout a task, to move with control blah blah- we might plan to hav an assualt course to support this aspect.

Its hard to explain your planning to someoe isnt it- but I hope this has helped- someone- I am always asking for help with planning as we have so many different people in who "suggest" we change things!!! and it confuses us and knocks out confidence.

Good luck!

Wow.......... that's our setting too!!!!

Hi Devonmaid,

this is the bit of the planning I was most dubious about implementing but needed to fill those gaps! I have to say it's working brilliantly and after just a term and a half the profiles are looking more balanced! The girls add their name to an activity each week at the begginning of each half term. The activities are written up and accessed by all staff over the week, hope it helps x

Adult_led_Activities.docx

have not read all this thread but my long term plan holds all those things you want to put in

it has reminders for me too e.g. review policies, fire drills, special items we may want to talk about (mothers day, christmas, easter etc)

We do not put any topics on as we plan with the childrens interests. The voice of the child is really important.

we do not have a medium plan, i personally dont think they are worth another lot of writing and storage, which is at a premium for me being a pack away

I have a weekly provision sheet

I think the plans should show inclusive practice and we take into account learning styles and schemas as well as well being and invovlement

The thing with planning is to make it work for you and what works for one setting does not work for someone else.

Thanks moo20 your planning looks so impressive - very comprehensive and confirms my need to look more closely at coverage of the 6 areas of learning - hope you don't mind if I use or adapt your idea!

Do your staff plan the activities? Mine would resign at the mere suggestion! :(

How many staff work at your setting? I have two staff, both work 5 mornings per week, and 39 children on roll (morning session). In the afternoon sessions I have 49 children with two members of staff. A maximum of 30 children attend each session, but this varies over the week. I also 'manage' (more like oversee) a pre-school unit which is part of the nursery - but that's another story! xD

I think I need to start a new thread re: workload and, more specifically, time within a session to do all the things we are expected to do!

But what I am coming to is, how do you plan coverage for children who attend perhaps only 1 or 2 sessions per week? Until recently, I planned only 2 focussed assessments - this, so that there was opportunity for all children to access the adult led activity over the course of the week. I attempted to cover the 6 areas of learning by identifying three objectives ('development matters') from each area of learning, one from each phase, which my planning would lend itself to - so that's 18 per week (only two of which were assessed). On a separate sheet, I would record each area ('development matters' statements) that had been covered and which had been assessed.

I am so unsure about all of this! I need a cup of coffee!! :o

Thanks again, moo20. x

I think it needs to work for you and your setting! We run all day but do have children who are in just 1 afternoon a week for example. For these children the key person can pick up any of the adult led plans that will be meeting their needs, they are also adapted to reflect interests. We hope that by the time children hit 3 they are taking up their free entitlement which makes it alot easier!

YES! Each member of staff does their own adult led plan based on their key childrens needs/interests for that week! I think this is important as they are then gaining experience as well.

It is a difficult one planning, I don't think there is a right or wrong way, as I said I implemented this as we had so many predictable gaps at the end of last year and can already see these being filled. We found that leaving it open to interpretation meant that focused activities went adrift.

Deffinately no easy way to fit everything into each session! On top we have 2 letters and sounds a day!!! Have uploaded our adult led plan, these are all on the planning clip board at the begginning of the week, mostly!!!

Couldn't upload on fast reply!

Have added in learning journeys, weekly provision too, long term plan is all at work! Prettied them up to draw parents in, also display 'what we did last week' which is a picture for each of the 6 areas of learning depicting the children in free flow or adult led play, anecdoted to help the parents see why we do what we do!

ADULT_LED_ACTIVITY_PLAN.docx

INSIDE_EVALUATION.docx

INSIDE_WEEKLY_BLANK.docx

INSIDE_WEEKLY_BLANK.docx

OUTSIDE_WEEKLY_BLANK.docx

TERMLY_ASS_LEARNING_JOURNEY.docx

And here in the older format - I think that's all of them!

Thanks Moo20 for some good paperwork

Thanks Cait! Planning's the bit of paperwork I do enjoy!

Wow, I thought it was just me!!! The only bits of paperwork I don't like are the bits that have numbers on! These hurt my brain and cause lot's of bad words to escape from my lips!!!! And as for anything in EXCEL :o don't even get me started!!!!

For the inside/outside planning boards I first made the 'what did we do last week' formats for parents, adding photos electronically each friday with anecdotes and then adding to the planning folder as each new one went up. After discussion with my EYDW I then made the hexagons for each learning area, laminated these and placed inside and outside. The idea being that I print out pics at end of week and delegate the choosing and anecdoting to the team. Quite interesting to see where they place things and others perception of what is being 'learnt'! Has also led to some worth while discussion!

Have added obs tracker too, this gives us a useful overview to ensure all children are being observed reguarly and narratives are scheduled to make sure they happen!

Also just started the 'What are we doing this 1/2 term' for parents. Early days still and not had much feedback apart from parent on board but does fulfill advice on last OFSTED (May 2007) for providing parents with more info on activities which has drifted in and out over last 3 years!

Oh dear Cait, you've got me started now! All uploaded in compatible mode :o

NARRATIVE_TRACKER.doc

WHAT_DID_WE_DO_OUTSIDE.doc

WHAT_DID_WE_DO_INSIDE.doc

PSRN_HEX.doc

PSE_HEX.doc

PD_HEX.doc

KUW_HEX.doc

CLL_HEX.doc

CD_HEX.doc

WHAT_WE_ARE_DOING_THIS_HALF_TERM_SPRING_2.doc

OOOOOO!!! See! That is why I should be allowed nowhere near numeracy activities, imagine the subliminal messages I'm sending out to the children!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)