Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

What Do You Call Your Minded Children?

One of my minded children referred to herself as a 'guest' the other week. I thought this sounded much nicer than 'minded child'. What about 'visitor'? What gives the impression that the child is welcome and should feel 'at home' but also makes the boundaries clear? What about 'Mindee'? Not my favourite but I know some use it.

I have recently noticed that some parents (Dad's) think their kids are just on a play date here three nights a week and don't know what I'm talking about when I say 'minded children'.

Anyone not too busy eating Easter Eggs?

Honey

I say 'childminded child' when it comes up but that's not very often to be honest.

I think 'visitor' could imply transience and my childminded children are usually with me for many years so perhaps not appropriate here.

Not sure about guest and I tend to suggest that guests must be deferred to out of politeness and childminded children are equals in our house.

Interesting question!

I shall have to give this one some thought :o

I refer to my children as 'childminded child/children' but it also depends who I am talking to. I feel calling them by their name is fine to dependent on who i am talking to aswell. x

Been cogitating on this all day. Thinking I might start with 'Friends'. The Wiggles have a song, 'We're all friends here at our Kindy', and that's kind of the feel I'd like to encourage here. 'Which Friends are going to play with us today?' 'We speak kindly to our Friends.' 'We have three Little Friends here today and how many Friends are coming for tea?.

I think Supermarkets have really changed since they started calling their shop assistants 'Colleagues', along with the bosses. Can any educationalist out there think of a reason why this might be a bad idea? Could it cause a breakdown in authority perhaps?

The more I think about it the more convinced I am that this is a good idea.

Honey

"Team" - as in "come on Team" when getting ready to go out, and a "welcome to the Team" page in the scrapbook album we keep together, with an individual and group photo.

Both parents and children seem happy with the term "Team" and there are some lovely definitions to support the choice....

“A team is a small number of people with complimentary skills who are committed to an agreed purpose, goals, and approach for which they hold themselves mutually accountable.”

"These groups might be organised or informal, led or self governing, labelled as teams, work groups, families or bearing no name. The factor that makes a team is not its name or its membership. The one thing that turns a group of individuals into a true team is their common sense of purpose."

I'm interested now to see what others come up with?!

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)