Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Moderation

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has taken part or organised any moderation type activities related to the development matters bands more than the profile statements. I am going to be looking at this with my team tomorrow. I have found more materials to support making judgements around the profile statements than the age bandings. Obviously we can use our own learning journeys but if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Hi FLJ, I am assuming you are in a reception class?

If so, we can move your post so that more people form reception classes can come along and help.

Are yo looking at some kind of internal moderation? Are you participating in your LA moderation at all?

Hi FLJ, I am assuming you are in a reception class?

If so, we can move your post so that more people form reception classes can come along and help.

Are yo looking at some kind of internal moderation? Are you participating in your LA moderation at all?

I lead a Foundation Stage unit. Our reception teacher has taken part in LA moderation and that went fine. We just decided as a team with 5 adults responsible for learning journeys it would be good to check we all 'read' the same in terms of the development matters statements. Sometimes when we have looked at the on entry data, there have been discrepancies as to where we feel children are at.

I think the key thing is to ask yourselves:

How do I know the child is demonstrating these skills? What have I captured or know about the child that links to the look listen and note prompts?

Are there enough independent outcomes to secure a judgement or is it too adult directed so the child doesn't really do this by themselves?

What info do we have from other adults/parents to broaden our view point?

What would I expect to see linked to the developmental age/stage statements I am looking at? e.g. "shows an interest in books" would mean a different thing depending on a child being 1,5,7,11 yrs. They would all show an interest in books but I would expect a 7 year old to do it in a different way to a 5 yr old if you see what I mean. This can be key to getting the "pitch" of the DM statements right I think.

These are the kind of questions I focus moderation around.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)