Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Phonics In Nursery

hi all

Just wondering how everyone plans and delivers phase one phonics in their nursery? I am never sure if I should have a dedicated phonics 'slot' or try to incorporate activities into the day?

I have myself, one full time ta and one in the mornings only. My children come a variety of sessions - some all day every day, some all morning, some all afternoons and some a random mixture! I have tried doing three groups in the morning and two in the afternnon first thing as a group time, but its hard to do things meant for a 'small group' with 13 children in your group (we have 26 children a session), I feel.

Just be good to know what eveyone does?

Thanks

Hi!

I do 'letters and sounds' after registration/input four days per week; I do not do this on a Wednesday as the children do cookery.

Starts at 9.15/9.20 a.m. until approx 9.30 a.m.

The children are split into three groups (ability) - one group per keyworker.

The staff swap groups each half-term.

Each week I focus on a different aspect.

Hope this is of help!

we do L&S as part of our story groups, organised to age/ability, 3 times a week on the other two days we have large group singing session. L&S though can happen through out the session.

we do a couple of aspects a term, this will change more freqyuently depending on the children.

to change weekly seems a bit quick to me for young children

Edited by Suer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)