Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Sound Books Reception Class Teachers

Hi all,

I am a new reception class teacher and loving my new job, however the system in place is to photocopy weekly sounds and action with a few tricky works or hwf to learn at home. This process is very time consuming and there must be an easier way.

Can anyone suggest or share an idea that works for them in their school?

Many thanks

Dominica :o

We send home the Phase 2 and Phase 3 sounds in their sound books - which the children and parents like too. After that we don't as, once they get to the alternative sounds in Phase 5, we find they don't need them in sound books. We don't send tricky words home though.

As for a quick way - um..........!

We send home the Phase 2 and Phase 3 sounds in their sound books - which the children and parents like too. After that we don't as, once they get to the alternative sounds in Phase 5, we find they don't need them in sound books. We don't send tricky words home though.

As for a quick way - um..........!

Many thanks Purple magic

I did a phonics workshop in the autumn term to give parents advise on how to help their children at home which they loved. Then I sent home a laminated A4 sheet (2 sided) with all the sounds and actions on. I write on the wall which sounds we're learning that week so parents can see it when they bring their children in.

I also have a sounds and word book, it has the sounds learnt that week (no action picture as they can refer to the laminated sheet) and a few words made up of those sounds for them to practse blending (they are not abour learning them by sight). Most of my children are now on phase 4 so they just have a list of 10 words, most words they can read phonically and a couple will be the tricky words we have learnt that week. The children loved their sound book and the parents find it good to be able to support their children at home. I don't find it time consuming. xx

I did a phonics workshop in the autumn term to give parents advise on how to help their children at home which they loved. Then I sent home a laminated A4 sheet (2 sided) with all the sounds and actions on. I write on the wall which sounds we're learning that week so parents can see it when they bring their children in.

I also have a sounds and word book, it has the sounds learnt that week (no action picture as they can refer to the laminated sheet) and a few words made up of those sounds for them to practse blending (they are not abour learning them by sight). Most of my children are now on phase 4 so they just have a list of 10 words, most words they can read phonically and a couple will be the tricky words we have learnt that week. The children loved their sound book and the parents find it good to be able to support their children at home. I don't find it time consuming. xx

That sounds successful!

We have always found tha the parents lose anything sent home like that unless it returns to school regularly.

Sounds like a good idea, I will give it a go.

Many thanks

in our class we have made phonic cards with a picture card for initial sounds.

these have proven really useful for the children we introduced them for, as they are given to each individual child when appropriate.

They can once they have satpin begin building words to segment and blend. However these do take a long time to make. We have decided all the children in the 2 reception classes will have these next year so Im going to be busy colour copying cutting and laminating. This year im going to begin by making 75 sets! instead of bitting and bobbing. I'd better start soon! They have really aided our children though especially our lower ability. so the work will be worth it.

Vicky

in our class we have made phonic cards with a picture card for initial sounds.

these have proven really useful for the children we introduced them for, as they are given to each individual child when appropriate.

They can once they have satpin begin building words to segment and blend. However these do take a long time to make. We have decided all the children in the 2 reception classes will have these next year so Im going to be busy colour copying cutting and laminating. This year im going to begin by making 75 sets! instead of bitting and bobbing. I'd better start soon! They have really aided our children though especially our lower ability. so the work will be worth it.

Vicky

Have a look at the resources on communication4all and tpet and twinkl as they all have similar things and it could save you a lot of time! The latter also offer printing I think!

Have a look at the resources on communication4all and tpet and twinkl as they all have similar things and it could save you a lot of time! The latter also offer printing I think!

Susan, I don't have any evidence to prove this, but I have heard there may be a connection between the Twinkl site and Sparklebox - has anyone else heard anything?

Susan, I don't have any evidence to prove this, but I have heard there may be a connection between the Twinkl site and Sparklebox - has anyone else heard anything?

I haven't heard this. I find twinkle and tpet.co.uk very useful for phonics games/cards etc.

www.phonicsplay.co.uk is a great interative website that we regularly use at school and share with parents. x

Hmm, my source of info is from our L.A. Early Years Team. I was at a twilight meeting last week, somebody mentioned Sparklebox and then there was a quick discussion about alternatives, and the team said that there was a connection between Twinkl and Sparklebox but did not expand on what the connection was.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)