Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

New Fs Leader To Set Up A Fs Unit

Hello,

Yesterday I was given the news that my head would like our nursery and reception classes to become a unit in september. I am the reception teacher and have also been given the role of FS leader. We are currently looking for a new nursery teacher.

Currently we have 2 classrooms joined by a cloakroom and a large room on entry in to the FS area which is currently used as a key worker room for nursery and a quiet guided reading/IEP area for both classes.

Both classrooms have direct access off them to the outdoors. (so very lucky!)

I am excited by the idea of setting up the unit but as a new FS leader I am unsure as to how to go about setting it up and what to prioritise first. Does any one else lead a unit?

The idea is that each class will keep their room as a base for inputs but will mix for activities. We plan to have the same topics and plan together. We have had the idea of putting the R.P/Writing/Reading and creative area in the reception room and MD/KUW areas in the Nursery with PD and PSED running throughout, does this sound feasible? Does any one else do this? Also a suggestion of mixing the 2 classes together in to mixed ability groups and giving them set areas each morning then different in the afternoon has been suggested?

Im feeling very confused and helpless at the minute any advice, ideas of how to structure the day and organisation of children would really be useful!

Hope that all make sense. thankyou in advance, Emie

That sounds very exciting!

Do you have any other settings working like this near you that you could visit?

Have a search, as we had a member sometime ago who was experienced in units and I know there were posts/ threads and there may even be an article in the archive or resources?

Good luck.

That sounds very exciting!

Do you have any other settings working like this near you that you could visit?

Have a search, as we had a member sometime ago who was experienced in units and I know there were posts/ threads and there may even be an article in the archive or resources?

Good luck.

Thanks Susan! I will have a look! I'm currently arranging some visits! It is exciting but a big change too! Emie

• 10 months later...
Guest littlemissblonde

Hi Susan

I am the FS manager of a unit and have been for a number of years.

When I began the Unit was a unit in name only and needed a lot of development.

We have one reception class and morning and afternoon nursery groups.

The first thing I did was reorganise the unit into areas this took a great deal of thought as we needed to encourage the nursery children into all areas of The Unit. We had to make sure there was a mixture of provision

We have Creative (paint, collage and junk modelling) computer, malleable and numeracy in one end differentiated writing and reading areas in both ends, sand investigation, role play and music/listening in the middle and construction, small world and a permanent home corner in the other. These areas are constantly being evaluated and enriched.

Durham website has some great continuous provision planning which gave me a lot of help. Everything has to be labeled to help at tidy up time

We have four adults and each has a role which ensures the smooth running

• Focused group
  • Scaffolded group/observations
  • observations/ child initiated support
  • Outside

Each adult has a group for focused group sessions. The groups are based on Clld and PsED development.

Hope this helps - good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)