Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Nqt Interview For Reception Class Teacher

Hi everyone

I have an interview on Friday and have been asked to do the following, any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I have to plan an Act of Worship and have been given the floowing information "The Act of Worship will be on the theme of Pentecost and you will be asked to plan it jointly with two other candidates for approximately 30 children from reception and year 1. Please bring with you any resources you would like to use and let us know if there is anything you require".

And "We would like you to prepare a 5 minute presentation, demonstrating your knowledge of EYFS, without the use of ICT" I am thinking of basing the presentation around the four themes of the EYFS.

Thanks in advance

Hannah

Oh yuk! I always use the assemblies website as a starting point for our assemblies and usually find something to spark an idea on there

here's a link

http://www.assemblies.org.uk/search/index.php

as for the presentation, 5 minutes is a very short time to get across what you know. I would be inclined to go with the slant of talking about EYFS through talking about a hypothetical or real child/children and bring in the 4 themes through talking about them and their journey- might be a little bit different to what the other candidates will do.

good luck!

Debbie

Thanks Debbie!

Do you think they mean an assembly by act of worship? I wasn't sure if it was a class based session because it says 30 children. I guess the main thing is because im planning it on the day with two other people is that I have some ideas, so will definetly have a look at the website and see what I can find.

Thanks for the presentation idea! I need to sit down and put a plan together, but like you said 5mins is a very short time, I do think it is a good idea to use the 4 themes thought as it means that all aspects of the EYFS will have been mentioned.

Thanks again

Hannah

yes that's what I would assume by them saying act of worship so make sure that you include a prayer, time for reflection, hymn/song etc but I was confused by what they are really asking of you I mean will you be planning the act of worship with 2 others and be given time to present that to the 30 children in the class (all 3 of you together). I think if you go in prepared with an idea for a prayer, a possible story to read, an idea for a song to sing or to teach and a candle to light for the reflection bit or a small item for each of them to hold during relflection you would be well prepared.

Deb

I wouldn't automatically think of it as an assembly. We all should give a certain amount of time per week to acts of worship (can't remember how much and to be honest the only time I stuck to it was when OFSTED were in!) whether it's in class or out. Assemblies do count towards the total but they do not have to be all of it. A 5 minute story time at the end of the day can be classed as an act of worship if it's a time that they children enjoy relaxing together and maybe reflecting about the story if it has a moral.

Do you actually have to do the act of worship or just plan it?

Our RE coordinator told us about a website that gives examples of acts of worship (I'm really sorry but I can't remember the name of it) and most of them weren't directly religious but more reflective, e.g. light a candle and sit quietly thinking for a few minutes or discuss friendship etc. It was really more of a PSHE thing than an RE thing. Obviously if you've got to do it on the theme of pentecost there will have to be some religion involved but maybe you could think of it as a joint RE and PHSE thing??

Is your interview at a church school? Because that will obviously have an influence on how much prominence you give to RE in the lesson.

As they say Act of Worship with the theme Pentecost then it is definitely something including worship required. Not an easy subject, especially for young children, so the discussion with the other candidates is going to be interesting.

Busybeedeb's link leads to this, which gives some idea of one way to approach it.

http://www.assemblies.org.uk/2010/may10pri_holyspirit.php

You could also think about something that happens to change people's lives as another way of dealing with it.

I don't know it there is something useful here

http://www.collectiveworship.com/

Thanks for the great ideas everyone. I am thinking of going down the route of the churches birthday. Having a birthday cake and candles to represent the fire and blowing them out or balloons to represent the wind. I have found a nice bible story to read to the children, so fingers corssed. Just have to wait and see what the other two candidates think and what ideas they have! I still don’t know if I have to teach it at all!

Now to plan my presentation!

Thanks again

Hannah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)