Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Puppets

Hi everyone - this is my first post so here goes...

I am starting my first teaching post in nursery in a couple of weeks :o and I want to introduce puppets as a way of creating a home school link. I want a puppet for phonics and a puppet for numeracy. I want to put ideas in with the puppets of things that the parents can do with their child.

I thought about attaching the letter that we are covering in phonics to the puppet and putting a note in for parents to help the child look for objects at home that start with that sound. I also thought about putting a sheet in about how the letter should be said to make it clear for parents, I also thought I could say they should encourage the child to practise writing the letter.

For the numeracy... a similar sort of thing - ask the parent to encourage the child to look for numbers in the home and practise writing numbers with the child.

I was just hoping for some inspriation becasue some of my ideas seem dull and I would like to change the activities around as well so that it doesn't get boring.

Any ideas??

• 2 weeks later...

Like the cards Freefaller - many thanks will use those in my setting. :o

Suggestion for the phonics puppet - some good and simple game ideas in phase 1 book - things like silly soup /grandmas footsteps on a card could be included with the puppet , with the hint that they are puppets favorite games/activities ? A Metal Mike game is quite easy to make - maybe a workshop in setting and then take them home xD

Hi there,

What age will your children be Sarah? Just thinking about suggesting 'writing' in shaving foam etc rather than formal letters. Maybe a little pot of playdough to create the sound/number? that kind of thing..

welcome to the forum and all the best :o

My children are nursery, I'll have a think about that one - sounds good but I need to see if my parents would be ok with messy activites. Thank you for the ideas - they are different!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)