Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Interview Activity Help

Hi all

I have to carry out a 15 minute activity based in the outdoor classroom for reception class that will help to develop the children's questionning skills. Im not sure how many children will be involved and I havent visited the school to see what exactly is available.

Any ideas would be really helpful. Thankyou!

How about doing a 'listening walk', see what outdoor sounds they can hear and asking what different sounds they can hear all at once. Do they sound loud or quiet? Far or near? Animal or person? Could do a chart to fill in or just recall what they heard.

You could take along a large ish box covered with ????? in dofferent fonts and sizes - do they know what a ? is - if so, good! if not then it's a teaching point.

Inside the box there are some special words - question words - does anyone know any question words? If they do then pull out tthe ones they say - already prewritten inside the box.

If they say nowt then use this as a teaching opportunity - 'well, here's a question word - what - can anyone say something beginning with what? The child who says one then gets a sticky label with a smiley face and ? on it for being such a brilliant questioner - rewards are all!

Good luck

Jenni

The first thing that came to mind was a hide and seek object game. Utilising what is in there outside area, encouraging them to physically seek out objects that you have hidden. Encouraging them to work with their peers. This will provide lots of opportunities for encouraging questioning.

I wonder where the caretaker has left his ........?

Where might there be..........?

Whats hiding behind the.......?

How did that ......... get there?

I know that my kids club children, who are in reception class, enjoy it when we do an activity like this at our setting.

Be warned it will bring a competitive streak out in them lol.

Hi all

I have to carry out a 15 minute activity based in the outdoor classroom for reception class that will help to develop the children's questionning skills. Im not sure how many children will be involved and I havent visited the school to see what exactly is available.

Any ideas would be really helpful. Thankyou!

is this a whole class activity? I'd go for a 5 min input then let them do something v active. could you do a treasure hunt with them asking questions for clues as groups (eg "is clue 1 under the slide?" "is clue 2 near a tree?" or even "where is clue number 3?") if they're awful at it pull them back and model forming a question, if they're quite good answer in such a way that they have to ask more questions to get it out of you. You could put a clue for each group, say 5 groups, and then get them to order the clues to make a sentence telling them where the booty is then they could all have a prize (could just be a certificate of piracy or a jolly roger sticker or something).

How about a 'detective' activity, whereby a Teddy Bear (or persona doll) is put up in a tree and the children have to discuss how they think he got in the tree, why he wanted to get up the tree, how could they help him get down. They could also be asked to consider how he might be feeling, how safe is he, who might be worrying about him, looking for him.

The activity could be supported with clues to each of the questions put in strategic places, i.e. a message on the floor saying "please help me". a small ladder/step/rope/trampet. a pot of honey in the tree or a kite. Also home made bees in tree.

Also take lots of photos and record children's suggestions/questionning to create a book for future re-inforcing. Follow up with drawing/painting activity.

I've done this with children in a nursery, they loved it and often talked about 'saving teddy' for a long time after

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)