Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Childproofing

Hi, I am going to become a registered childminder in a few months and have started to think about practical things like childproofing...I live in a rented house and the landlord doesn't want me to install any childproof locks on kitchen cupboards as it is brand new...I am trying to think of a way around this...I could move all the cleaning cupboard materials into a cupboard high up or use ones that are attached by adhesives-although he will still have the same concerns that they will damage the cupboards/toilet etc. Any ideas? cheers

Guest jane707

You have to show in your risk assessments how you keep children safe from hazards.

If you cannot use cupboard locks then you need to find somewhere else to store things safely out of sight and reach.

Could you get a locked storage area outside? The trouble with cupboards up high is that children can climb!

Good luck with it all :o

Perhaps a lockable box that could be stored on top of a cupboard, if necessary?

I know it's not much help but your topic title made me smile as a parent bought me a fridge magnet that says:

"we childproofed the house..... but they're still getting in!"

Nona

Guest terrydoo73

Just wondered what type of kitchen handles you have. I had the same problem when I was a childminder - not wanting to destroy every cupboard with locks as it was not our own home. Mothercare does a safety pin needle type system which goes through bar handles and there is a lock over the pin. Not very easy to explain but it worked for me especially with the cleaning cupboard. The other thing is what about a safety gate that you could insert between kitchen and other room so children are not allowed in. Again this worked for me when I had say something cooking or just getting to the toilet! I resorted to locking rooms before and after using specifically the toilet as little hands love to dip their hands in water or shove things down the toilet! Just be aware too of pulling methods - I didn't realise this until I saw it in action - they see something and they will pull regardless of what damage it causes!

I'm wondering how your landlord wants you to keep your own children safe? I think he is in a position of having to provide a safe environment for his tenants - adult or child. Surely a couple of screws in their cupboards is it their interest.

If you're setting up a business at that address it looks like you're going to be a great tenant and there for a long time. It's in landlord's best interest for you to enhance his property.

Best of luck

Honey

JoJoMamanBebe sell a magnetic cupboard lock. Haven't bought them yet but we rent and when our little monster gets mobile I intend to buy those to childproof any drawers without doing them any lasting damage. They advertise them as ideal for rented accomodation so I guess they're good. I have a catalogue for them but they have a website too and I imagine the same sort of lock can be bought elsewhere too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)