Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Electricity

ok so next term we are going to have a mini topic on electricity - decided by the children.

Ive got lots of ideas as have they, but am really stuck for role play???

should i do something unconnected?

only we are due ofsted so I want the classroom to be fabulous! lol!

thing is this is something that they prob havent got a lot of first hand experience of so role play would be quite challenging!

Any ideas?

lucie

Can you not set up the role play area as an electrical store - lots of defunct radios/keyboards/old hairdryers/mobile phones etc basically anything which works by electricity - and you also get some ICT in there as well if you have things with switches buttons etc. (batteries removed/ leads all cut off of course :o )

how about an electricians - lots of different items fior the children to 'repair' - using some of the electrical role play items ? -kettle, laptop,stereo. maybe make some items from junk modelling ? pop a tool box in et voila !!. the children could work out what items use electricity and what items dont.

I would say:

does everything have to be connected?!!! I think sometimes we worry ourselves to death trying to link everything the children come into contact with - I personally don't think it's bad practice to have areas that are unconnected. It allows for different experiences and starting points.

However, You could have a regular house and encourage the children to make machines for it to do things that use electricity? They could then work from concrete experience.

Cx

Guest LornaW
I would say:

does everything have to be connected?!!! I think sometimes we worry ourselves to death trying to link everything the children come into contact with - I personally don't think it's bad practice to have areas that are unconnected. It allows for different experiences and starting points.

However, You could have a regular house and encourage the children to make machines for it to do things that use electricity? They could then work from concrete experience.

Cx

Hear hear catma! They always love ahome corner and all children are familiar with homes and there are certainly lots of electrical items in our homes these days. The boys will love the TV controls!!! Also torches my children used to just love torches and nooks and crannies!

Lorna

Home play would be a really good idea as the children will be using their own experiences of electrical items in the home. I would be planning it with the children and listing all the electrical things they would like to include making a mind map. It also provides an opportunity to tackle safety issues with the children as well.

Always the best place to start with for anything I reckon! I do think sometimes enormous amounts of energy are spent by adults creating replica scenarios that children have no real conceptual understanding of - and consequently cannot actually "role" play!! Then the adults are disappointed by the children's responses and just can't understand why they aren't able to play well in the beautiful historical replica of a Tudor galleon.

Why not get crocodile clips and lights, aluminium foil and buzzers etc to make intruder alarms or lights for inside the cupboards...............my reception children used to love making circuits once they'd been taught how.

Cx

Edited by catma

we had a board made up with light battery and a break in the wires.this was connected to 2 terminals (metal drawing pins from what I remember) so something could be put between to make the circuit and light the bulb, we used to have the children try to make the connection with different items to see which worked or did not... was really easy to make up.. had one with 2 breaks once for children to work in pairs...

A lovely idea for electricity is to make your own lightening.

You can only do this if you haeva space which you can make completely dark so some won't manage it.

Stretch cling film over a plastic bowl then stand in a dark place and rub your hand over it in circles. After a little while the static electricity created will produce blue sparks much to the delight of the children. There is nothing big enough to feel more than a slightly prickly effect and it's great fun.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)