Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Year 1 Farm Song For Interview

Hi everybody,

I'm posting for the first time so i'm not sure if i'm doing it right...but i thought i'll have a go. I have been reading the forums before. I have a job interview on thursday 9 June 2011 and i have been asked to teach a song or rhyme to support the year 1 children's current topic on 'farms' and i have 5 minutes to present this, which i think is really tough!!

I'm looking for something which the children will enjoy and have fun, doing actions etc. Also is there an objective from the foundation stage which can be linked to key stage 1, year 1 in this activity, just to make sure i am doing it right. As the school is looking for continuity from the foundation stage. Thanks in advance for any ideas!!

Also any ideas for how i might start the lesson observation would be helpful. Thanks to all!!

Hi and welcome. A bit early in the morning for brain but could do...

Farmers in his den

5 little ducks

Old macdonald

Dingle dangle scarecrow

Down at the farmyard - could change so you just keep singing about things on the farmyard

I will keep thinking at post again if I come up

With any more. X

Oops with regards to objectives there are links with eyfs in both language for ..... And also creative development. X

Guest LornaW
Hi everybody,

I'm posting for the first time so i'm not sure if i'm doing it right...but i thought i'll have a go. I have been reading the forums before. I have a job interview on thursday 9 June 2011 and i have been asked to teach a song or rhyme to support the year 1 children's current topic on 'farms' and i have 5 minutes to present this, which i think is really tough!!

I'm looking for something which the children will enjoy and have fun, doing actions etc. Also is there an objective from the foundation stage which can be linked to key stage 1, year 1 in this activity, just to make sure i am doing it right. As the school is looking for continuity from the foundation stage. Thanks in advance for any ideas!!

Also any ideas for how i might start the lesson observation would be helpful. Thanks to all!!

Great ideas from Lots another I though of is 'One man went to mow'

Have you seen the Sing Up website? It has music and lesson plans and is free to register

http://www.singup.org/songbank/song-bank/s...-old-macdonald/

Also on the continuity from YR to Y1 they may also be looking for continuity in pedagogy so making it active and involved would be important.

Good luck for Thursday.

Lorna

Also on the continuity from YR to Y1 they may also be looking for continuity in pedagogy so making it active and involved would be important.

I would think that was more important to focus on...you do have to take into account that they are year 1 at the very end of the summer term so really nearly year 2 and mostly 6 years old. Have you looked at the year one music curriculum to see what kinds of skills they are expected to acquire by end of yr 1?

I think you would need something more challenging possibly than doing songs they probably already know by heart?

In "three singing pigs" by Kay Umansky there is a a Little red hen rap. Strong pulse and you can do this with body percussion or instruments The book has great activity ideas around preparation and performance of the piece with resources to use. It's linked to growing so I would say that is farms!!

There are also other ideas for the enormous turnip.

Children are aware of rap and this would possibly link into their musical knowledge from their own experiences?

Cx

Found this rhyme in The Little Puffin book

If I could have a windmill, a windmill, a windmill,

If I could have a windmill, I know what I would do.

I'd have it pump some water, some water, some water,

I'd have it pump some water all up from the river below.

And then I'd have a duckpond, a duckpond a duckpond,

And then I'd have a duckpond, for ducks and geese to swim.

The ducks would make their wings flap, their wings flap, their wings flap,

The ducks would make their wings flap, and then they would say 'Quack, quack!

The geese would stretch their long necks, their long necks, their long necks,

The geese would stretch their long necks, and then they would answer 's-s-s-s-s'

First verse: stretch out both arms and swing them round

2nd verse Put clenched fists together and raise them up and down

3rd verse Pretend to scoop a hole in the ground

4th verse Put hands on hips and waggle elbows

5th verse Lower and raise heads sretching necks as far as possible

How about teaching an adapted song to a tune they already know - e.g. If you're happy and you know it... - which will make things a lot easier! The children will pick it up very quickly.

If you think you are a farmer, cut the corn.. (swishing action!)

If you think you are a farmer, cut the corn.. (swishing action again)

If you think you are a farmer,

If you think you are a farmer,

If you think you are a farmer, cut the corn (swish!)

Then you ask the children to think of any other action ideas - what else do farmers do? - so you are asking them to share their knowledge rather than just teaching a song.

e.g. milk the cows (great udder pulling action :o ), scatter the seeds, ride a tractor...etc

Thanks everybody for taking the time out and sharing your ideas. Really grateful!!Thanks so much for the website it is fantastic!! i have thought about doing old macdonald with music on the IWB and words displayed on the IWB from the singing website. This way they ahve the words on the board, but then they will probably know the song by heart......on the other hand i'm thinking of using this song and children add the animals but this means i cant have the writing on the board.

Or use the tune of wheels on the bus go round and round for the farm son. i.e the cows on the bus go moo moo moo, moo moo moo, moo moo moo.......all around the farm, the children could add their own animals, sheep, etc.

Not sure which would be best having the writing on board or children using a familiar tune and adding their own animal each time???

Is there a way of writing your own song onto the website, with having the first few choruses on the board, then children just add their own animals. Thanks!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)