Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Involving All Children In Decision Making

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help me out please.

We try to involve children in making their own decisions on a daily basis. snack, free play, selecting activities e.t.c

In our setting we look after 2-5 year olds.

My question is re children's decision making how can we ensure that all capabilities are considered.

thank you

Hi Sallyn04

One way could be to use the Mosaic approach to listen to children, using all of the practitioner's senses, as a way of tuning into each child both verbally and non-verbally. See the attached link for further information. An internet search might fight more information. I also remember reading an article on here somewhere but couldn't find it in the resources section - perhaps a quick search in forum posts would find something. Sorry must dash....

http://oro.open.ac.uk/17075/

Hi sallyn04

This is when the keyperson approach really comes into its own.

As you will get to know those key children really well and beable to differentiate for each child.

We also show our differentiation for any particular children that may have been discussed / evaluated at our staff meetings on our weekly planning sheets which all staff receive each week.

Not sure how your provision is set up, so difficult to know why you are questioning it.

Hope this helps. :o

Hi sallyn04

This is when the keyperson approach really comes into its own.

As you will get to know those key children really well and beable to differentiate for each child.

We also show our differentiation for any particular children that may have been discussed / evaluated at our staff meetings on our weekly planning sheets which all staff receive each week.

Not sure how your provision is set up, so difficult to know why you are questioning it.

Thanks what I was wondering was how we can be more inclusive to children who may have special needs e.g. communication problems.

As we don't have any in our setting.

Thanks what I was wondering was how we can be more inclusive to children who may have special needs e.g. communication problems.

As we don't have any in our setting.

If / when you get a child which has additional needs you will adapt as needed to the child.. they are all very different and each will have their own particular needs.. setting up something generic now may be of no use at all for a child who attends later...

be aware of these children may attend and have a few ideas on what could be done like the visual timetable and setting up / routine changes which may be needed.. but when they do there are usually other professionals involved who will help and parents are really the best resource in knowing what to do to help the child.

Just what i was going to say Inge.

Also children change all the time any way so how you enable the setting now may not be appropriate over the coming terms or with younger newer children in Sept.

Also look at learning styles and schemas include these in your enabling environment and as said before key person, parents are their people to help inform change as they should really know their child

• 4 months later...

I WAS JUST READING AN ARTICLE ON DECISION MAKING IN EYE AND HAVE A QUERY

HOW DO YOU GET A CHILD TO DO SOMETHING WHEN EVEN THOUGH YOU GIVE THEM A CHOICE THEY STILL DON'T CHOOSE?

FOR EXAMPLE AT TIDY UP TIME IF YOU GIVE THEM THE CHOICE OF TIDYING UP THE TRAIN TRACK OR THE BRICKS AND THEY CHOOSE NEITHER AND REFUSE TO DO ANYTHING - WHAT DO YOU DO?

Hi for children like you are explaining, i give lots and lots of praise to the children near them on their tidying up skills. whilst ignoring their refusal to help. Make it as fun as possible and not just a chore.

I also purchased some small cotton bags, that the children like to go round and collect all the smaller objects in to put back in their rightful places, that tends to do the trick.

It could be that the child sees tidy up time as the end of something he was enjoying so a visual timetable with pictures breaking down the session including tidy up time may help.

Circle time is also a opportunity to explore with the children the need to tidy up at some point.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)