Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Childminding

Guest TinklePrincess

Guest TinklePrincess

Hi all,

I feel like I start every message like this but... Sorry if it's in the wrong area - I suck at choosing the right one! Also, sorry if this has been covered thousands of times... I kinda wanted a personalised answer and got bored surfing through the pages :o

Anyway... I think that after many many years of searching, I have discovered an ideal situation for me - for those that don't know, which is probably everyone (!) I have never actually known what I want to do with my degree and EYP status.. I don't think working in a maintained nursery is for me (maybe the inner rebel, lol, I dunno!) and so I wondered about teaching assistant positions but don't think I will be respected for my qualification level...

After working with a number of childminders at the children's centre I'm attending for my final EYPS placement, I think I could be really happy doing this for a living - I was worried that I'd end up back in retail or something not using my degree as nothing seemed "right" for me!

So I was wondering if anyone had any advice, stories or anecdotes? How would I "get in" to it and is a full driving licence essential as I'm not even "test ready" yet?!

Also, I have recently moved back in to my parent's home while I finished my degree - would I be able to hire out a room (like office space) or is it best to wait and get a job and move out first? I really have no idea how it works and I will speak to the childminders next time I see them but I'm really interested and quite excited actually (never thought I'd say that about a career other than the "dream job"!)

Thanks in advance xD

I think Ofsted categorise Childminding as 'childcare on domestic premises' so I think working in non-domestic premises may be problematic. Although when I was in Australia recently I drove past a shop that looked like it had been converted in a community childminder premises.

As a childminder with enough space in my own home, I would really welcome having someone else to work with and share the costs. So there is an option there if you can find the right person.

I think there could be a place for a 'relieving childminder'. Someone with the the right qualifications who can be called in to other premises to cover illness, training, holidays etc. There may be reasons why this wouldn't work - was poo-pooed by the person I put the idea to, but I can't remember why 'cos I didn't believe them really.

Work out how much you could potentially earn as a childminder and you might be surprised - can be quite good when you don't have your own children filling up places.

Very best of luck.

Honey

Hi all

Yes to be classified as a childminder you need to live and operate on domestic premises. If you hire a hall or other premises and do not sleep there then it is classified as non-domestic and comes under creche/pre-school etc.,

Why dont you contact your local authority for more information on childminding you may have to undertake a childminding course even though you are qualified to EYP as childminding is different to working in other environments. Even if you do know a lot of the stuff you will probably enjoy supporting those you meet at the event.

Best of luck

If you rented a flat then you wouldn't need to sleep there. However, you will need the premises you will be using to be available for any pre-registration homevisits and for the registration visit as well, so you would find you are paying for rent for some months before you can earn.

But you could put the word out that you are interested on being a co-childminder and someone may want you to work in their setting.

I recently did some cover work for a childminder - going to her setting. It worked well and I enjoyed it, and it gave me an experience I wouldn't have had otherwise.

i work with a full time co-worker from my home and i "buy in" assistance from another self employed registered childminder to cover sickness, holidays, university lectures, study time and as an extra pair of eyes and extra first aider on daytrips out. i pay her £7 per hour with a minimum of 4 hours per session. this includes her travel expenses. it works well for all of us and i have been doing this for almost 6 years

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)