Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Children With English As An Additional Language

I am not sure if this is in the 'right' section - apologies if not!

I have a child who has recently joined nursery and whose first language is Polish. He speaks very little English - single words, but beginning to put two words together.

I am looking for some good ideas to reflect his needs and culture in terms of the environment and planning; what would Ofsted like to see on the planning and do you have any good ideas/resources for children with English as an additional language?

Also, how do you assess?

Many thanks!

we have a lot of Polish children using our setting as well as other children where EAL. We have lots of pictorial clues - visual timeline - posters with home languages represented , foodstuffs and coooking utensils from home countries in the role play -( we have quite a few Polish supermarkets in our area and parents bring in the packaging etc), and if a child is wanting a bit of extra support we use small fans wih key elements on them - there is one for the routine - pictures of garden/snack/ grouptime/toilet etc and another for feelings, on Twinkl to download or you can make your own up. Our Polish parents want the children to learn English so despite having the luxury of an interpreter from the EMAS team in the city, she is mainly used for helping with assessments ( she can ask the child about skills and find out for us what level of language they are in home language which helps), and translating for the parents, rather than talking Polish to the children. The children seem to cope well with the environment . the speed they pick up English is fantastic and they are among the most popular children in Nursery despite the language differences. :o

This is a great site for multi-lingual resources and posters of areas/objects/days/months etc in lots of languages

EAL resources

I use it loads and loads and we have a high level of children with English as their second language.

This is a great site for multi-lingual resources and posters of areas/objects/days/months etc in lots of languages

EAL resources

I use it loads and loads and we have a high level of children with English as their second language.

Thanks for that - some lovely resources for MFL; could not find Polish or Tagalog - any suggestions?

dont forget newbury park is great for early phrases.

Also parents and families are the greatest resource, they are often happy to write welcomes and give you simple words.

Finleysmaid, how expensive are the pens now, I've seen them in use by settings but they were very expensive, I wonder if they are getting cheaper yet?

• 9 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)