Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Average Points?

I've been asked to teach Reception in September after a colleague has been taken ill. I'm really looking forward to it (although original plan had been for me to stay in Year 1 and had organised myself for it).

I'm getting my head around the planning and all seems fine but have been told by the HT that the average child will only achieve 6 ELGs across each scale. Is this true? When I last taught Reception it was on the old ELGs but most children got 8's. A 6 seems low(ish) in my opinion - shouldn't I be aiming higher esp when I know what is demanded in Year 1? Anyone else heard of this?

Yes, a total of 6 points or more is the outcome used to demonstrate a child is working securely within the ELGs. 8 would be a child achieving all the ELGs and 9 working above the ELGs. A good overall level of attainment is 78 points including 6+ in all 7 psed/clld scales.

Cx

Edited by catma

Guest ChunkyMan

Hi Blue Sheep

An average child leaving F2 should have achieved 6+ in all areas, another indicator is 6+ in CLL + PSE aswell as a total of 78 points...any lower esp if still 1-3 should be SEN.

A lot will have achieved 8 points and possibly 9's too, it depends on the cohort, socio economic etc. In my school 6+ is hard to achieve in CLL (esp writing) but 8's are common in PSE, NLC and PD so as I said it all depends.

Guest ShelleyT

Yes, we aim for our children to reach scale point 6 in each of the 13 areas, and 78 in total. All of our LEA data is based around children achieving 6 points. They believe that is an 'average' child. Anyone achieving a 9 in any area is gifted and talented. Hope that helps! x

Thank you all for your replies and the info - still getting my head around everything but now is all starting to make sense & in perspective! Thanks once again :-)

They believe that is an 'average' child.

It's how the data for the DfE is organised and described within the national data set. It's also what the previous LA targets were based around so not the LA defining it - all LAs have to use this as the baseline for their outcomes.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)