Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Christmas Cards

At school we are going to be designing cards for the Christmas card project. In order to get the designs out in time for parents to decide if they wish to buy them we have to do the artwork next week. Working in a mixed FS2/Y1 class I do not want to start Christmas yet and get the children into that mood in September!! Does anyone have any ideas of art work suitable for FS that is not too complicated and not too Christmassy!! My only idea so far was a self portrait so any ideas appreciated. We can not use glitter though we can do collage with certain materials.

Thanks in advance

I'm having exactly the same dilemma at the moment. However, last year when we did it I just told them it was a bit strange doing cards this early but we needed a long time to get them ready, we kept it very low key and no one got confused/over excited. Once the cards were done I put them out the way as quickly as possible and they were forgotten!

Last I did Christmas trees - gave them triangle templates in various sizes, they cut out whichever ones they wanted (some did a single large one, others a row of 2 or 3 smaller ones) stuck onto a sheet of bright blue paper, they cut out their own trunks and then I helped them to tear a strip of white paper to cover the bottoms and give a 'fluffy' snow effect. Some added presents cut from brightly coloured paper, some added stars from yellow paper. They did look really good and 'the same but different' if you know what I mean.

I think the lack of glitter, shiny paper etc. helped it not to feel too Christmassy. They were simple but effective.

If you're doing this as a fund raiser then bold 'fluffy duck' craft sells better than 'brown blobs'. The robin my 5 year old made was more successful than the detailed fine-tipped pen picture my 7 year old drew.

The robin was a large brown circle with a smaller red circle 'breast'. A red 'crown' for a comb, a yellow triangle 'beak', two small white circle stickers for eyes (black dots in middle). two brown 'wing' shapes, and red legs drawn on.

The Helen's Green Triangle Christmas Tree with bright circle lights would look great too. Guess that will be at my next PTA meeting topic.

Enjoy,

Honey

my all time favourite is rudolf with a dark brown footprint (or cut out of brown paper) and 2 handprints in gold for antlers. Shiny red paper circle cut out for a nose and the children draw on the face with black felt tip. It's amazing how different they all look. I have done these for the christmas card project and they were very well received- I always think a handprint on a card is a nice touch in reception. It looks lovely on royal blue card.

Deb

here''s a link to another thread where I've mentioned it and shown how. I have also seen it done with sponges, but thrown at a vertical surface - I think you'd need to be brave to try that one though!

That reminded me - thanks to Cait's suggestion I did do tea bag splat paintings for that project. We used brown parcel wrapping paper and bright blue, red, purple and yellow splats. Once they were dry children used a green wax crayon to draw on stalks and leaves then I cut them so they were central on the page. Looked fab - very summer meadow!

Maybe white tea bag splats on a blue background then a pre-printed slip saying "Snowball fight!" stuck across it :o

I'm wondering about doing that kind of printing where you cover the bottom of a tray with a thin layer of paint, children draw on it with their finger. You press a piece of paper on top and lift it off for a print. I was thinking of doing snowmen then children could add their own scarves/faces/buttons etc. however they liked.

I love the reindeer footprint too though I've never done it on a card.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)