Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Maturational Tasks

Good morning :)

I am baffled by the term "maturational tasks" for an assignment.

Wondering why I haven't come across it before

I would be very grateful if anyone could simplify this for me.

To put it in context the question is:

"Explain the maturational tasks of a specified age group of children"

I have already done the physical, language, social, emotional, behavioural, cognitive and moral in the previous question.

Thinking maybe I'm getting too old for this!!

Good morning :)

I am baffled by the term "maturational tasks" for an assignment.

Wondering why I haven't come across it before

I would be very grateful if anyone could simplify this for me.

To put it in context the question is:

"Explain the maturational tasks of a specified age group of children"

I have already done the physical, language, social, emotional, behavioural, cognitive and moral in the previous question.

Thinking maybe I'm getting too old for this!!

I think the term relates to appropriate tasks for the "chronological" age as opposed to the developmental ability....for example the old chestnut about whether children can conserve.....or have the ability to picture what might be going on on the otherside of the mountain etc. Of course the problem with these types of test are that they are limited by cultural values...hence in the 1830's we might have thought it "normative" for a child of seven to be able to milk a cow...now it might be to use a PC mouse......such a skill might be useless for a similar aged child in Africa where another skill might be more higly valued.....and indeed in ten years time the mouse as we know it today might be obsolete so any such test only relates to our time and culture. Reading ages would be an example of this too whereby children are measured by what we consider normal for a child of their age...those above it wow..jolly well done genius! those below....failures who need adjusting. If every child mattered we wouldnt need such normative measures but of course our culture calls for it...what age can we consider children morally aware (so we know when we can lock em up). We are very much obsessed these days with cognitive or legal maturity but in times past a childs physical maturity would have classified what it was expected to do and how it was treated thus a child post puberty would be considered grown up whereas today we dont consider anyone an adult until 18 (or older). So i think it must be wanted you to discuss normative standards of behaviour and how and why these maybe unreliable.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your replies.

Definitely food for thought

Determined to complete it tonight

Thanks again it has really helped :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)