Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Working More And More At Home,anyone Else ?

Guest Pebble123

Guest Pebble123

Sorry for a moan but Im finding it so hard to get everything done !

I teach Reception and Y1 and at the moment Im under pressure to get my on entry cohort profile completed which is taking ages. Then I need to start scoring the children for the EYFSP. Parents evening soon which needs preparing for and I need to be able to tell the parents what progress the Y1s have made. On top of all the planning and the fun bits like making resources and preparing the classroom and outside areas. And collating everything for learning journeys !

Oh and targets, I keep putting off doing the targets (hate them !)

PPA time just goes by in a flash!

I know KS2 teachers have more marking but we do seem to have to do so much in FS !

Any tips ?

agree it's a nightmare and never ending, I work every night for school and most of Sunday but never seem to be on top of things. Something I do though is give my TA PPA on a Friday afternoon when I have the children for music, golden time and then gold book assembly by myself. During this time, she takes my plans (which I get to her by wednesday) and she makes the resources, tidies the classroom and basically gets everything ready for Monday. PPA time doesn't even make a dent in what we need to do. I was talking to a friend of mine though who teaches secondary English and she said she does 2 1/2 hours of marking every night and over the weekend had 65 stories to mark so I think every teacher has a horrendous work load it is just different forms of work.

Deb

My TA also sorts resources on Friday while I do PE with class, and then watch good old Words and Pictures! I work every evening but try to keep weekends free to watch my son play rugby. Catch up on Learning Journeys - sort photos and short obs, and write up long obs, link all to wherever they need to be linked each holiday, at least 3 days work. My son's friend's mother is a science teacher at local high school - she never takes work home, does it all in her free lessons. I always say I love my job, but hate what the job takes from me - by Friday night I'm done in! But I have been doing it for 34 years now, and reception is still the most rewarding age to teach.

Totally agree!!

We're due OFSTED any day and I could work all night!

There's so much to do. The Friday's sound like our school too xD

I'm off to buy a Euromillions ticket haha!! :o

Something I do though is give my TA PPA on a Friday afternoon when I have the children for music, golden time and then gold book assembly by myself. During this time, she takes my plans (which I get to her by wednesday) and she makes the resources, tidies the classroom and basically gets everything ready for Monday. Deb

That's a really good idea - why didn't I think of that?! Might have to look at rearranging my timetable to accommodate it. My PPA slot has changed this year from a whole afternoon to being 1 hour and 2 separate half-hour slots. I can't decide whether it's a blessing or not. Have a shorter time does help me to focus and not spend the first half-hour of my PPA time sorting out behaviour issues or tidying up something. However, I do find it hard to think of something constructive that I can do in a half-hour slot which frequently gets shortened to 20 or 25 minutes.

I TOTALLY agree - I seem to be working all the time and planning extra time to be in school. I find it particularly difficult in terms of setting up as I only work mornings (we only have a morning Nursery) - so don't get that quiet couple of hours at the end of the day when I can really get stuck in. I seem to have this set idea of how things should be, then beat myself up if the setting doesn't look like this! May be we are all striving for perfection which we will never get as what one person thinks is a great idea, the next doesn't - can we ever win??

How many new things do other people add each week in areas? Just wondering if I'm trying to add/change too much - as it seems a constant struggle to impliment all the ideas for the week?

Staying up late tonight to finish initial assessment summaries so I can have at least 1 day at the weekend!!

Green Hippo x

Guest tinkerbell

Every half term I ask the teacher who does my PPA to let me have my TA (my year 1's are elswhere in PPA time) for 1 session ,we absolutely crack on withthe e-profile and recording individual results in the childrens learning journal files.Photographs we have been collecting that half term are in a file with plastic pockets with each childs name on (alphabetically) and these are stuck in their learning journals along with any post its that have been collected too( these do get stuck in at other times too)

.We have the time to talk about individuals and put together a sheet with jottings on individual childrens needs that we identify.

Tinkerbell

We are trialling a new system of key workers this year, where my two TAs are responsible for keeping observations of their children. I then give them a morning each half term to go away and input on to the profile.

Hopefully it'll work, to take the pressure off a little!

Mine also do the Friday afternoon prep :-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)