Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

All Children Should Be On Red Reading When Leaving Reception

I discovered the OUP All Star Stories for this particular group - age appropriate content for reception with a strong comprehension focus but at the right level for reading ability

They look great Marion, never seen them before, but definitely something to remember if there's ever any money to buy books!

• 10 months later...

I have an issue in my current school where I have been told that the Reception children are not reading at a high enough level for year 1. For a start, these children are not native english speakers, they have spent two years (some one year) learning english at school and then spend 2 months in the summer not reading or speaking in English. Am I wrong to think that the expectation should be different? Secondly, due to the country we reside in, the enrolment age is younger than in the UK so they are Reception but some of them are technically nursery age. The head teacher thinks differently though and believes they need to be pushed harder! Any thoughts? Comebacks?

I find it okay to work on Phase 2 and first part of Phase 3 in Reception. I wish I could eliminated the 2nd part of Phase 3 and just jump to Phase 4. Vowel digraphs are so difficult for the majority! Why not continue with Phase 4 CVC-CVCC-CCV-CCVC-CCCVCCC words, captions and sentences instead? They are capable of doing so before vowel digraphs! I would propose that once this was done fluently and with proper comprehension, then one could introduce vowel digraphs in Y1. Yet, no reading scheme produces books like I would dream of ;).

I find it okay to work on Phase 2 and first part of Phase 3 in Reception. I wish I could eliminated the 2nd part of Phase 3 and just jump to Phase 4.

We run phases 3 and 4 together - and have found that most children cope really well using the 'easier' digraphs from phase 3 in longer words, but get confused by the alternative spellings of phase 2 digraphs ee/ea for example.

We have done this for a few years now, including through an 'old style' OFSTED with no complaints!

Year 1 pick up with the Phase 3 digraphs, and have found children are confident with their knowledge, and ready by half-term to take the alternative spellings on board.

If children are secure with the skills then phase 4 can be concurrent with phase 3 as there are no new phonemes in phase 4. this is our recommendation to schools, but usually when they are in the summer term and children have had long enough to secure the blending/segmenting skills. Then they are ready for phase 5 in year 1.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)