Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Non Parent Committee Members

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can answer a question for me.

We are a small pre school who have massive problems recruiting a parent committee. Most of our children are only with us for a year as we are attached to a school nursery and as such are more interested in the school PTA.

Does anyone know if we can make up a committee of non parents who may be willing to stay longer term? I have tried asking the PLA but they are very vague and not very helpful.

Many thanks to you all

Lisa

I have a question about committees.

I have looked into what the Charity Commission says and it is that employees of the charity can be trustees, just not paid for the role of being a trustee. Everything just needs to be open and above board and you might have to ask the Charity Commission for approval.

So maybe we should leave the PLA who say that parent have to make up the majority of the committee and change to the Charity Commission model constitution instead which doesn't seem to say that at all.

I have emailed the Charity Commission to ask if I am right about this. If so I think it is something that we will need to look into.

All depends on what your constitution says.... if it says it must be parents then you can to look at changing the constitution to one which does allow non parents or longer term members...

the latest PLA one does allow staff to be on the committee but would be wary of them taking the roles which would conflict with some of the decisions to be made like those on wages where they would have to abstain from voting...

but you don't have to use a PLA one even if you are a member.. so long as it has been approved by the charity commission.. assuming you are a charity.. if not even that is not needed..

Hi when I first started at my preschool the committee only had people who weren't parents, you can co-opt people onto the committee who have no children there too. We, at the moment, have a committee which is 50/50 parents and staff. I was told a few months ago that the PSLA is looking at moving away from too much parental involvement as they move on quickly and preschools are constantly having to fill roles. Staff CAN take officer roles but as mentioned before have to abstain from voting on issues such as pay, though as a manager I personally find this strange as I am the staff's line manager and to my mind should be making decisions about pay, hours etc but thats a different moan :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)