Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Jolly Phonics....what Next?

I manage a Day Nursery and we have introduced Jolly Phonics with our 3-4 year olds! They absolutely love it and most of the children know all the letter sounds and actions.....

My question is....now the children know the sounds, where do i go from here? Do i concentrate on one sound a day/week and go in more depth? or something different?

Ps, we are also doing Letters and sounds phase one alongside it!

I manage a Day Nursery and we have introduced Jolly Phonics with our 3-4 year olds! They absolutely love it and most of the children know all the letter sounds and actions.....

My question is....now the children know the sounds, where do i go from here? Do i concentrate on one sound a day/week and go in more depth? or something different?

Why not try letters and sounds phase 2? - they sound as though they are ready for it - with lots of sound talking in your daily chat !! That is the bit that is sooooo tricky if they are not used to it x

Anje x

Weve only really started on the phase one Anje... so was thinking more of what to do with the Jolly phonics! At the moment weve been singing the songs and using the letter sounds in daily talk but bit confused about what to do next as i dont want them to get bored of singing the songs all the time?x :o

iIthink you should take a look at letters and sound and we should really only be doing phase 1 in pre-school.

we do not do jolly phonics as not all schools follow this programme but letters and sounds have some good listening singing and musical songs and ryhmes

how about extending their ability to recognise letter sounds in different contexts...so how many things can we find beginning with 'a' etc /can we write a list of them/ can we sort these items into s and a pots/ if i bring an item out of my bag can you do the action(sing the song)that sort of thing...the only problem i ever have with jolly phonics is that often the children can only connect one word with one sound, so therfore really havent learnt the concept fully.

I have been on a JP course today and I teach JP in my Reception class.

Are you just teaching the phonemes (sounds) orally or are you showing the corresponding graphemes (printed/written letters).

JP is designed for teaching in Reception and the actions support children in remembering the graphemes. Unless you are showing the graphemes I am not sure whether doing the actions and saying the phonemes is effective. I suppose if you are orally blending and segmenting words, you could use the actions as clues....e.g. show the actions for a/n/t then ask children to blend the sounds, or ask the children to segment a word you say by showing you the actions.

Have you attended phonics training? Most good training provides you with ideas for teaching phonics in nursery and the correct pronunciation of the phonemes.

TBH I personally would not teach JP in nursery. Unless you are pushing them ahead with PGC, as others have mentioned, phase 1 of L&S would be more appropriate as it provides them with the necessary skills to blend and segment the phonemes so when they do start learning PGC they have the skills to orally blend words when seeing the graphemes. e.g. s/a/t and p/i/n.

Are you teaching them the digraph phonemes as well?

Edited by millhill

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)