Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Sharinig Photos!

Hi I could do with a little advice/input!!!

We take alot of pictures for our obs and it seems a shame that whilst parents see some they do not see all, so i came up with the bright idea of sharing photos every half term or so with parents via e-mail ( photos that contained their child). I spoke to parents who are really keen and did a letter of consent which parents have returned, it explianed that pictures of their child may go to another parent as that parents child was in the photo and vice versa.

I now am getting cold feet!!! whilst everyone is up for it i am worried about what parents could do with pictures when they have the, eg post on facebook when the photo includes children other than their own!

Am I overanalysing or not!!!!

This technology tyhing is great but opens up so many cans of worms!!!! :o

Hi Jackinthebox

I would be a bit worried about sharing stuff over the internet - especially pictures!

We display a dvd of the photos we take in our entrance and at the end of the year give parents a copy of the photos taken. This dvd includes other children. Photos of other children also appear in learning journeys as they show children's PSED development

HOWEVER

We have a full and comprehensive policy in respect of taking, using and storing of photos and to stop parents putting them on the internet advise parents that we own the intellectual property rights to them and will take legal action if they breach our rights by posting them on social networking sites etc.

Hope thats of some help.

Hi jackinthebox

we have lots of photos too and each child has a folder on the school PC with their photos in at the end of the year we copy all photos onto a CD and give to the parents. We have no problems with having to ask for consent forms or other as staff do not put any photo in individual folders that contain any other child.

Problem solved from the outset!

It is fairly easy to blur faces with some programs. We have a blog and do that for all the children's faces. Hubby says you can get free ones off the internet that will do this although we use Photoshop. You just have to be careful to save the blurred picture and use that or it might be reversible.

It would be a lot of extra work though.

We have part of our parent contract which states that photos of their child may appear in other children's learning record and we have only had one carer who did not sign this part as she was fostering a LAC who could not appear in any images. All the photos we take in a week are on a digital photo frame in the foyer but are then deleted at the end of each week and the new ones uploaded, that way parents can see what the children have been doing but none are kept on any computer, hard copies are printed at the end of each week and are stuck into the individual childs learning folder as developmental evidence which parents recieve when their child leaves the setting.

Edited by max321

It is fairly easy to blur faces with some programs. We have a blog and do that for all the children's faces. Hubby says you can get free ones off the internet that will do this although we use Photoshop. You just have to be careful to save the blurred picture and use that or it might be reversible.

It would be a lot of extra work though.

I am sure I am not the only one who really dislikes this way of obscuring pictures and using them.. I cannot imagine how a child could feel seeing a picture of themselves ot their friends where the faces were blurred or covered.. I do think it sends a message to them about how we feel about the child and their friends... for me it is better not tio use any at all than to blur faces.. looks ugly and I personally would not like pictures of my child treated in this way.

as to sending pictures via email.. you either have to take the chance or change the policy and way of sharing... ours were printed off and put in books, and also we made a CD at end of each year which we actually sold for funds and parents were always happy to do this... I did however put them on using a programme which was a bit obscure.. and the individual pictures were locked so not accessible to be printed or taken off directly.. I suppose by taking screen prints they could do it but this did really reduce the end quality of the pictures..

I think it really comes down to the permissions you use and if all parents are aware of the full implications of giving it for pictures to be distributed... digital picture frames have reduced in price a lot and if I was still in a setting would probably go down this route... I did occasionally use my lap top for this but as parents seemed to allow children to touch and play with it always had to be there at the same time.. other option is a small tv with a dvd player.. this I did at time of sale so they could all see the cd before buying.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi I could do with a little advice/input!!!

We take alot of pictures for our obs and it seems a shame that whilst parents see some they do not see all, so i came up with the bright idea of sharing photos every half term or so with parents via e-mail ( photos that contained their child). I spoke to parents who are really keen and did a letter of consent which parents have returned, it explianed that pictures of their child may go to another parent as that parents child was in the photo and vice versa.

I now am getting cold feet!!! whilst everyone is up for it i am worried about what parents could do with pictures when they have the, eg post on facebook when the photo includes children other than their own!

Am I overanalysing or not!!!!

This technology tyhing is great but opens up so many cans of worms!!!! :o

Hi there,

We have a website that parents have to log in to, and only members can view the pictures. It is better than the photo host sites which can be emailed on etc. Each week I write a blog for the parents to tell them what the cohort have been doing, as children always go home and say 'nothing' ! I also upload the weeks photos to support the blog. Parents can only view the images they cannot be tampered with. I agree with the other comments about the blurring of faces. I introduced this in September when I started the job, we have had amazing positive comments and it really promotes the home-school link as they can view them at home with their parents/carers and remember and discuss their time with us. We do pay for this website but for£35 per year it is really worth it. Otherwise I would print out the pictures and send home a book instead of email.

Good luck

Although you may have a point, Inge, we have been burnt by parents on Facebook and I will not take the chance of allowing people to misuse digital images.

Out of interest Melba, what are you worried that someone will do with them?

I am wondering the same as HappyMaz - photos of children fully clothed & engaged in normal play, un-named, on a pre-school website or even on someone's facebook page - does it matter? This is a genuine question!

I have a weird situation at the moment with a child who is jointly looked after by her own mother and the local authority so I'm not sure where we stand on photos. No-one has told me not to use pictures of her and Mum has expressly given permission (she wasn't in this joint custody situation when she started with us). It seems such a shame not to show any photos of her with friends for instance there's a lovely group photo of everyone dressed in P.J.s for children in need yesterday which I've displayed in the setting but haven't put on website/facebook as I'm not sure if this is OK. I am not keen (for same reasons as others have said) on blurring out faces.

Also, those who put photos on CDs - surely these can very easily be uploaded onto the internet by parents?

Tricky!

Edited by anju

Also, those who put photos on CDs - surely these can very easily be uploaded onto the internet by parents?

Tricky!

this depends on the way you put them on the CD.. I had a very obscure programme to do it, and found they could not upload or do anything with the pictures other than view them, and in many cases they said it only worked in a DVD player and not on PC.. They could not print them off from it either.. but don't ask me what is was called... all I remember is it was a cheap one bought for the purpose of making photo DVDs.

( If I was doing it now, I have found a photographer who does all the transfer stuff from cine films to videos etc to dvd who offered to do the copies for us and lock them, and for free.. even including the dvd and covers... good advert for him was his reply, all those going out with his details in them! All we had to do was make the original one)

A photo of a photo works very well, done it a few times depending on light and the way the original is displayed it can look really good.

If someone is that determined to get a copy they will. To be honest, apart from the issue with looked after children or others that should not be identified, like the OP I cannot and never have, seen a problem with it. If someone is going to get something from looking at photos of children engaged in play, they will obtain them whatever. What is the difference between giving photos to other parents and sending them to a lab to be processed? Goodness in the past I have sent photos of my kids in the bath and swimming and never gave it a thought. I probably would now!!

this depends on the way you put them on the CD.. I had a very obscure programme to do it, and found they could not upload or do anything with the pictures other than view them, and in many cases they said it only worked in a DVD player and not on PC.. They could not print them off from it either.. but don't ask me what is was called... all I remember is it was a cheap one bought for the purpose of making photo DVDs.

Anyone can copy a photo onto their computer, from a disk or from facebook or any other internet source. All you do is CTRL PrtSc and then open 'paint' and paste it. Chop away the excess edges and no-one would know it wasn't an original.

The only way to stop it totally would be to deface it with a copyright overlay like newspapers do when they advertise their pictures for sale.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)