Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Professionalism Or Lack Of It....warning Its A Long One

Hiya one and all, yes its been and age but have been mad busy with stuff. This latest gripe Im posting was experienced not by me but a fellow cm in S.Yorks. Im so disgusted that I thought you kind ladies might have a few suggestions. to put you in the picture. said colleague had just attend her first training re EYFS and this is what she emailed me with afterwards. Its okay Ive had her permission to share it with you.

Hiya,

Well......what can i say.....the 'training' nearly caused me a heart attack i was that angry!!

Rant alert.....just skim if you don't want to be dragged into my sad angry world!!

The stupid bloody council 'Early Years' employees aren't worth 1/10th of their wages! She stood there and basically lied, opinionated and skewed everything about being a childminder, working with the EYFS or just being a human being in general!

Told us all CATEGORICALLY we cannot take pictures on our mobiles, it's 'disgustingly unprofessional and highly illegal' erm......woman....wtf are you banging on about?? Ofsted have only very recently clarified this in a fact sheet.....*cue withering stare from said early years woman*

This should have been my alarm really that i should just shut up but noooooo Kate just carries on getting more and more angry and end up arguing with the bloody woman.

Argh......breathe......breathe......

We can't use e-mail, text messages, or written communication as it might get 'hacked or stolen' by paedophiles.....

We need to observe and link each observation to only 1 area.....ONLY 1....ALWAYS......or else.....

Ofsted won't care if you don't do ANY paperwork for after schoolers......they wont pick you up on it...

Safeguard yourself at all times as 'children notoriously lie and parents will try to sue you'....fact....

Don't talk to babies too much as they can't really understand what you're saying......

I could go on but i'm sure you want dont want to waste another 5 mins of your life!!

I'm so angry i'm off out for a kfc......i need to anger eat lol

I will e-mail you properly tomorrow when i'm feeling less selfish and opinionated!!!!

I may have to move nearer you, the whole world has gone mad...

Im was absolutely fuming when I read the above. Worse still when it turns out to be "the Head of Early Years " within this colleagues borough. Ive suggested her getting a feedback form re training; and sending it directly to the womans superior. I still cant believe the absolute twaddle she has heard.Let me know your comments and suggestions PLEASE - thanks in anticipation.

Edited by waveawand

I don't have anything to say about the content of your friend's email really, not having been there and heard what was said myself. I would say that I don't like it when people tar all early years advisers with the same brush, and that some of the language used about this individual made me feel very uncomfortable. I would hate to think that someone would write about me in these tones, even if anonymously. :o

I feel the same as you Maz, and without being there and perhaps able to interpret what was allegedly said, I feel that it is difficult to make a constructive comment. Having worked with many people in LA advisory positions over many years I have never come across anyone who would speak in this way. Perhaps waveawand your colleague needs to speak to this advisor personally and clarify what has been said.

I feel the same as you Maz, and without being there and perhaps able to interpret what was allegedly said, I feel that it is difficult to make a constructive comment. Having worked with many people in LA advisory positions over many years I have never come across anyone who would speak in this way. Perhaps waveawand your colleague needs to speak to this advisor personally and clarify what has been said.

I see your points but dont actually understand what needs clarifying - she hasnt made up what she has heard. But personally, I dont think she is saying that all advisors behave in this way. But surely you can see that a person speaking supposedly in a professional capacity, needs to be encouraging good practice and speaking with knowledge of the subject in hand ? Thats whats made me cross and my colleague - because we both know full well that what has been said is not true. I wasnt there but I dont believe my colleagues slant is skewed or mis interpreted. She thankfully hasnt been put off and is going for another session. Possible to see if it was as bad as the first experience.... ( only my opinion of course)

It was possibly a mistake of mine to put the exact 'transcript' down as was said. Im trying to support and encourage this person to stick with childminding and Im surprised that you both feel that its a insult to all Early years advisors. Actually it is an disfavour this particular Early years advisor has done you if that is also your role. I thought giving out correct information and encouraging newbies to do the job properly was there remit ? Or have I got it wrong too?

Maybe I should have left this one off the forum all together.

Apologies as its obviously offended in some way....

Edited by waveawand

It's not a question of being offended Waveawand, but a better way to discuss it might have been to list the points rather than, as you say, copy the text verbatim. She does explicitly seem to be making a general point about early years advisers ("The stupid bloody council 'Early Years' employees aren't worth 1/10th of their wages!") and this is obviously unfair. There are many early years advisers here at the FSF who are among the most experienced in the early years workforce and doing a hard job in difficult circumstances, especially in the current circumstances.

However, the misconceptions this particular adviser seems to be labouring under are certainly worrying, which is probably why Maz suggested 'clarifying' with the adviser? A less confrontational way of ensuring she doesn't continue to give out the misinformation she seems to have been giving out. And if she isn't willing to discuss or change her mind you could ask here for responses which could be printed out for her. Obviously it's not possible to direct her to this post now, but if you were to create another just listing the incorrect assertions and asking for a response you might well find that several early years advisers are happy to correct those points - which it would be fine for her to see?

Waveawand; I'm with you on this. You obvioulsy know your friend well, I can't imagine that she has misintepretted what was said and come up with what she told you; if that is the case then she has misinterpreted magnificently!!!

As for what to do next; I think she does need to go to the next meeting, make notes of what is being said (in the meantime write down what was said at the last one, i.e. what she told you) then armed with evidence take it to someone higher than the advisor; there must be a senior advisor.

"We can't use e-mail, text messages, or written communication as it might get 'hacked or stolen' by paedophiles.....

We need to observe and link each observation to only 1 area.....ONLY 1....ALWAYS......or else.....

Ofsted won't care if you don't do ANY paperwork for after schoolers......they wont pick you up on it...

Safeguard yourself at all times as 'children notoriously lie and parents will try to sue you'....fact....

Don't talk to babies too much as they can't really understand what you're saying......"

These statements are particulalry worrying especially coming from a professional who is supposed to be advising on "how to do it" and NOT "how not to do it", particularly the last one!!

I wish your friend well, I hope she gets proper advise and sticks at it! Don't forget to let us know how she gets on.

It's not a question of being offended Waveawand, but a better way to discuss it might have been to list the points rather than, as you say, copy the text verbatim. She does explicitly seem to be making a general point about early years advisers ("The stupid bloody council 'Early Years' employees aren't worth 1/10th of their wages!") and this is obviously unfair. There are many early years advisers here at the FSF who are among the most experienced in the early years workforce and doing a hard job in difficult circumstances, especially in the current circumstances.

I understand what your saying Steve, but this colleague is refering to her own experience with here own council. Your right it does sound like a blanket disrespect to ALL LA's which actually it is directed ( my fault should have clarified that too :o ) at her own local area. And she was emailing me straight after the event so hence the heated words. I will gladly re post . Maybe you could remove my original one ?

thanks for your response.

Waveawand; I'm with you on this. You obvioulsy know your friend well, I can't imagine that she has misintepretted what was said and come up with what she told you; if that is the case then she has misinterpreted magnificently!!!

As for what to do next; I think she does need to go to the next meeting, make notes of what is being said (in the meantime write down what was said at the last one, i.e. what she told you) then armed with evidence take it to someone higher than the advisor; there must be a senior advisor.

"We can't use e-mail, text messages, or written communication as it might get 'hacked or stolen' by paedophiles.....

Don't talk to babies too much as they can't really understand what you're saying......"

These statements are particulalry worrying especially coming from a professional who is supposed to be advising on "how to do it" and NOT "how not to do it", particularly the last one!!

I wish your friend well, I hope she gets proper advise and sticks at it! Don't forget to let us know how she gets on.

Thanks so much for this Janny1960, my thoughts exactly, I myself havent had a good experience with my local LA's. It is though like any profession - there are good ones and bad ones.

Im just shocked that this woman had an assistant with her too by the way whom buried her head in her laptop for the duration ! My friend has spoken to another cm whom attended whom seemed to think that she shouldnt be letting it bother her... even more worrying dont you think ?

I will pass on your suggestions and thanks again.

Guest jane707

I do wish you had removed the swearing from your initial post. It does not reflect well on childminders. xD

However as far as the information the childminders are being given in the training goes I think your friend needs to keep a list of the advice and recommendations given and go through the Eyfs with them one by one, finding statutory and guidance requirements which do not reflect accurately with information received.

She can then go back to her trainer with a list of queries which she would like clarifying.

Maybe as an established childminder yourself you could help her with this.

I wish her well in her training :o

I do wish you had removed the swearing from your initial post. It does not reflect well on childminders. xD

However as far as the information the childminders are being given in the training goes I think your friend needs to keep a list of the advice and recommendations given and go through the Eyfs with them one by one, finding statutory and guidance requirements which do not reflect accurately with information received.

She can then go back to her trainer with a list of queries which she would like clarifying.

Maybe as an established childminder yourself you could help her with this.

I wish her well in her training :o

Thanks and apols again. Will pass on your wishes.

I came out of one training session many years ago with a similar view but to my regret I didnt say anything at the time and as it was just a one day course I didnt get chance to say anything afterwards.

Your friend is rightly angered by what she heard but she must be calm and professional when she goes back with a comprehensive list of questions and the responses she has researched to be correct.

The other CM she spoke to who said she shouldnt let it bother her, is quite right. Getting bothered and angry doesnt help, as long as your friend is able to operate correctly and knows where to go for advice thats all I'd worry about and she has got a friend who is interested enough to post for advice so she's well on the way to becoming a good CM :o

If I were your friend waveawand, I wouldn't wait until the next training session to air her concerns. I would email my synopsis of what was said at the training to the adviser and ask if I had understood correctly? I wouldn't express my concern at this point, just gain confirmation of what was said.

There may well have been other complaints made already about the content of this training and if so it is possible that action has been taken to ensure the correct messages are being given out. Adopting an 'I'm confused' approach offers the LA a way of correcting any misconceptions without raising hackles unnecessarily. After all, if your friend wants to work as a childminder she will need to work with the early years advisory team and going in with all guns blazing won't make that easy to do. This is also her opportunity to show her own level of professionalism, even if the same can't be said of others.

She's lucky to have you to turn to when she needs to vent, and you can do a lot to support her to get over this initial hurdle as she develops into a knowledgeable, professional childminder.

If I were your friend waveawand, I wouldn't wait until the next training session to air her concerns. I would email my synopsis of what was said at the training to the adviser and ask if I had understood correctly? I wouldn't express my concern at this point, just gain confirmation of what was said.

There may well have been other complaints made already about the content of this training and if so it is possible that action has been taken to ensure the correct messages are being given out. Adopting an 'I'm confused' approach offers the LA a way of correcting any misconceptions without raising hackles unnecessarily. After all, if your friend wants to work as a childminder she will need to work with the early years advisory team and going in with all guns blazing won't make that easy to do. This is also her opportunity to show her own level of professionalism, even if the same can't be said of others.

She's lucky to have you to turn to when she needs to vent, and you can do a lot to support her to get over this initial hurdle as she develops into a knowledgeable, professional childminder.

Thanks for that; its turning out to be a tougher week than I hoped for so really appreciate your constructive feedback. :o

I came out of one training session many years ago with a similar view but to my regret I didnt say anything at the time and as it was just a one day course I didnt get chance to say anything afterwards.

Your friend is rightly angered by what she heard but she must be calm and professional when she goes back with a comprehensive list of questions and the responses she has researched to be correct.

The other CM she spoke to who said she shouldnt let it bother her, is quite right. Getting bothered and angry doesnt help, as long as your friend is able to operate correctly and knows where to go for advice thats all I'd worry about and she has got a friend who is interested enough to post for advice so she's well on the way to becoming a good CM :o

thanks for this will pass it on. xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)