Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Adult Initiated Small Groupo Activities - How Many..organising With Di

How on EARTH do you do this? I have different children in on different days. Some stay every morning all week, some just in for 1 or 2 days. How many adult led activities do you do a wekk, and how do you ensure they all take part. Do you just have one running all week? Or 2 running? How do you make sure there is plenty of time for the children to be involved in self initiated play, with an adult supporting / enhancing play? An advisor has given me a sheet with space for a whole group and 1/2 adult led activities a day. I said I felt children should only take part in 1 adult led a day, she agreed. However, if you have the same activity running each day, that is only 1 adult led a week isn't it.

Oh help. I'm confused.......!

(There are 2 adults available)

It's finding the right balace, when you say 2 adults are available to youmean to do adult activities or 2 in total which would mean possibly haveing to stop for first aid or toileting accidents? any anything else that crops up in a day?

How on EARTH do you do this? I have different children in on different days. Some stay every morning all week, some just in for 1 or 2 days. How many adult led activities do you do a wekk, and how do you ensure they all take part. Do you just have one running all week? Or 2 running? How do you make sure there is plenty of time for the children to be involved in self initiated play, with an adult supporting / enhancing play? An advisor has given me a sheet with space for a whole group and 1/2 adult led activities a day. I said I felt children should only take part in 1 adult led a day, she agreed. However, if you have the same activity running each day, that is only 1 adult led a week isn't it.

Oh help. I'm confused.......!

(There are 2 adults available)

I will be watching this with interest! I too am not really confident about focused adult led activities - how many per day/week :o . Currently, I set 2 focused activities each week - and we don't always manage to get through those! And I have Ofsted due to come at any moment!

I have children who attend between 1 and 10 sessions per week.

Sorry I can't be of any help but I'm sure someone will be able to advise! xD

I too have OFSTED looming. Have only been in post 4 weeks. Hope someone can shed some light on this for both our sakes!

Yes - hope so!

I have heard that if Ofsted has not contacted schools (not sure about PVI settings) by 28th November they will not be inspecting the setting until after Christmas because they are having training for the new-style inspections in the new year. Hope it's more than a rumour!

Perhaps someone will enlighten us.

Hi first take a deep breath and try not to panic about Ofsted too much, which i know we all do, but what they see is what they see and i'm sure you will deal with any actions appropriately.

As for adult-led activities, these do not have to be specific art/craft activities, they could be ones like registration if you do it, book-club, snack-time, story-time, lunch-time too.

Think about all the things you do within your daily session and look to see which ones are already adult-led and include these first.

Then think about the activities you would like to introduce as adult-led we have many throughout our session but just encourage the children to take part, or we may only have one highlighted for that particular week.

So for example this week we shall be practising for our concert, this will of course be adult-led and all children will be encouraged to take part, there you go all children all week.

For differentiation on our planning for the next week, if we have children that find this difficult this would then be included to support and enable them to try this.

Hope this helps. :o

Hi first take a deep breath and try not to panic about Ofsted too much, which i know we all do, but what they see is what they see and i'm sure you will deal with any actions appropriately.

As for adult-led activities, these do not have to be specific art/craft activities, they could be ones like registration if you do it, book-club, snack-time, story-time, lunch-time too.

Think about all the things you do within your daily session and look to see which ones are already adult-led and include these first.

Then think about the activities you would like to introduce as adult-led we have many throughout our session but just encourage the children to take part, or we may only have one highlighted for that particular week.

So for example this week we shall be practising for our concert, this will of course be adult-led and all children will be encouraged to take part, there you go all children all week.

For differentiation on our planning for the next week, if we have children that find this difficult this would then be included to support and enable them to try this.

Hope this helps. xD

Thanks for that bridger; would you be willing to share specific examples of focused assessed activities? Or perhaps some of your planning for these activities? :o I'd be SO grateful!

I work in a maintained nursery with two adults myself and my TA, and a maximum of 26 children.We have two adult led activities each day one in the morning and one in the afternoon along with two whole group sessions again one in the morning and one in the afternoon. We offer flexible provision so children are in and out at various days/times throughout the week. so what I do is the adult led activity I offer on a Monday morning I might repeat on a Thursday afternoon for example, depending on what it is and whether it is relevant and appropriate to offer to both sets of children who may be in on those days. It is not possible to ensure that some of the same children wont be in on both of these sessions but I don't see that as a problem because the children may not have wanted to engage in the activity when it was offered first and even if they did they may want to do it again! What is the harm in that?? I hope that makes sense?

hi lizard

i am the Nursery teacher in a primary school and there are two adults in our setting including myself. I try to do 2 focused adult led activities a week maybe more or less depending on the children's interest. This is carried out during the children's play e.g. an activity in the sand or water focusing on heavy, light, shapes, quantities, etc or retelling narratives in the library or letter recognition or letter formation in shaving foam in the mark making area. I may work alongside a child specifically who has EAL or with a small focused group who i am targetting. I do a whole class group gathering once during each session (usually at the end before home time) wholeclass could be story time, circle time, music, learning a new sound, dvd, etc. I have two separate groups of children one in morning and a different one in the afternoon so its easier for me to plan.

hope this helps

kate :o

Hi Devonmaid unfortunately i shall not be at the setting until Thursday now due to a personal commitment. However i will try to post you a copy later this week. :o

THANK YOU! xD

hi lizard

i am the Nursery teacher in a primary school and there are two adults in our setting including myself. I try to do 2 focused adult led activities a week maybe more or less depending on the children's interest. This is carried out during the children's play e.g. an activity in the sand or water focusing on heavy, light, shapes, quantities, etc or retelling narratives in the library or letter recognition or letter formation in shaving foam in the mark making area. I may work alongside a child specifically who has EAL or with a small focused group who i am targetting. I do a whole class group gathering once during each session (usually at the end before home time) wholeclass could be story time, circle time, music, learning a new sound, dvd, etc. I have two separate groups of children one in morning and a different one in the afternoon so its easier for me to plan.

hope this helps

kate :o

Hi, Katie I am in exactly the same position as you- nursery teacher in a primary school 26 children with 2 staff including mysef. CanI ask how do you freeflow or do you do all in all out? Would it be possible to see a copy of your timetable at all?

Thanks

Enhance childrens learning by following their interests. Each of my key people do this just as Katie says.

the only adult directed we have is welcome time and story/singing other wise we are child intiated and led

we provide a craft or similar but children only access if they want

If i was made to sit and make something then i would not be a happy bunny and my learning and well being would be low whereas if i could go outside and gather leaves mud and water to make a cake i would be much happier and have learnt loads and my key person would enhance that learning

does that make sense??

Lizard will sent planning via e mail x

I am a the Nursery teacher in a Primary school. I too have 26 children spred between a morning session and an afternoon session. I have an adult directed whole class carpet time at the beginning and the end of the session. I then have a focus group of about 4/5 children and the rest go to freeflow. I also split the children into 2 groups to do a letters and sounds input just before the whole class carpet time at the end of the session.

scarlettw079 our outdoor area is open all of the time - we work as a unit with the Reception class and have 4 members of staff in total between us, we have an outdoor rota for the staff. The children get their own coats/wellies/waterproof trousers on and take their picture outside (we have a picture of each child on a velcro strip inside and if they are outside they stick it onto the velcro strip outside) This allows us to rip the velcro strip off and see exactly who is inside and out in the event of a fire.

I hope that helps and I would be interested to see what people think to the order of the day in my school.

Sarah

Hi Sarah89

We have 26 ch'd full time except on wed when they only do a part day

We too freeflow outside with reception- 2 staff outside (1 rec and 1 nursery)but from10.30-11.30 and 1.30- 2.30.

On Monday and tues 9.20 -10 we all go outdoors.

Thurs am we have a hall session

It's an absolute nightmare only having 2 staff - especially last half term when they were still settling in and trying to do an adult led was near impossible.

hi scarlett

we do all in all out. we have the older children in the morning and the younger in the afternoon. this works best for our children, the parents and ourselves. i will try and attach a timetable for you now.

kate

Many thanks Kate. I'm presuming that you have an outdoor shelter so that when the weathers bad you can still stay out. Unfortunately it's something I'm still trying to get from the powers above

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)