Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Selective Mutism In Session

I believe I maybe working with a child who has this attribute.....has anyone had any experience of this and if so what means did you use to aid communication/development etc. I have tried using a puppet as I know sometimes they will speak too or though a puppet but no luck as of yet...so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Forum search threw up a lot on this...

Advice needed on elective mutism

quiet child

elective mutism

shy children

selective mutism

my son was one to a degree... but lots of advice and ideas in these posts.

For my son the best was not to push, help them become confident before expecting them to talk, chat alongside more than directly to them expecting them to answer, don't target them to answer or chat... they are still learning even if they don't vocalise it...

We had a little girl that didn't speak to us for 2 terms. I bought the book 'Daniel doesn't talk' ( Amazon) and read it at story time on the wednesday. On the Friday one of the practitioners sat on the floor with her and another girl playing with the ponies and she 'spoke' She has been fine ever since.

One of my practitioners went on a course recently. He said find what they like ie Bob the builder and use toys or pictures support without pressure.

Good luck

We had a little girl that didn't speak to us for 2 terms. I bought the book 'Daniel doesn't talk' ( Amazon) and read it at story time on the wednesday. On the Friday one of the practitioners sat on the floor with her and another girl playing with the ponies and she 'spoke' She has been fine ever since.

One of my practitioners went on a course recently. He said find what they like ie Bob the builder and use toys or pictures support without pressure.

Good luck

Thank you both for your advice and will check out those links....

We have a child who is elective mute and so far nothing we do seems to be working but she does seem to be communicating with her friends with nods and smiles

a child we had in the past started speaking when she could hide in the tents with her friends

Another child we had came out of herself when we had an older child in the session

It seems to be peers rather than adults that make the break through in our experience

I taught a little boy a few years ago who wouldn't talk to adults in school. He got others to speak for him su h as to ask if he could go to the toilet. After building up a good relationship with his Mum, we arranged for me to go to his house. He talked to me there and we played board games. I did this a few times and then I walked with him and his sisters and Mum to school a few times too. He'd talk to me on the way but as soon as we went through the school gates he'd stop. This went on throughout Foundation Stage. He then went into Y1 and it continued until a Dad of a child in Y2 came into listen to children read as a volunteer. He was a big Everton fan, as was the little boy. They built up a relationship and slowly he started to talk just to the man to start with and then with the other adults. We had to be so careful not to create a fuss and not to leap in the air each time he spoke. I left this school a couple of years ago and he was then in Y4. It was amazing to hear him be involved in his class assembly. I think the key is tapping into an interest and giving it time.

good point about not making any fuss or drawing attention to any words spoken, take it as normal..

also took my son until year 3 to speak in school to anyone other than his peers - he was lucky they spotted the issue and kept him with the same teacher for 2 years so a good relationship had grown for him to develop the confidence to speak to adults... he was too worried about getting things wrong and drawing attention to himself..

Just got back from an introductory course on SELECTIVE mutism funnily enough, having had a child last year that intrigued us and we wanted to know more about.

Firstly take a look at Micheal Jone's website and go on his course entitled 'supporting quiet children' if you can. Contact him to see if he is holding a course near you, if not he may well put one on in your area, thats what I did and he put a course on in my area.

http://www.talkformeaning.co.uk/selectivemutism.php

Also SMIRA have a website you may find useful (www.selectivemutism.co.uk) . They have a DVD you may find useful for £13.99 - Silent children, approaches to selective mutism.

Am a bit short of time now but perhaps the first thing you would need to do is consult with a SLT to ascertain whether the child has selective mutism or is a shy or quiet child.

Basically children with selective mutism cannot help the way they are.

This is very interesting thread.

We have Polish girl (3yrs) and doesn't talk to anyone, adults or other children. Been with us since September, and I feel that she has regressed. She is friendly with another Polish girl, who is outgoing and friends with all of the other children and will spend her time with her and follow her to activities.

We have done the small group games/puzzles/puppets etc. I have tried speaking in Polish to her, (the other girl can understand me). She will just fold her arms and put her head down. Her mum has been in to help, and the same response - no talking, no interaction, no response.

Any ideas before I get the Area SENCO in?

This is very interesting thread.

We have Polish girl (3yrs) and doesn't talk to anyone, adults or other children. Been with us since September, and I feel that she has regressed. She is friendly with another Polish girl, who is outgoing and friends with all of the other children and will spend her time with her and follow her to activities.

We have done the small group games/puzzles/puppets etc. I have tried speaking in Polish to her, (the other girl can understand me). She will just fold her arms and put her head down. Her mum has been in to help, and the same response - no talking, no interaction, no response.

Any ideas before I get the Area SENCO in?

has anyone attended eal training - many children with eal find it difficult and often have less understanding than we imagine , it can be very difficult to interact and feel understood by other children therefore tend to revert into themselves, i worked with several children with eal - one was very similar to yours and we had others like your other one , confident sociable , some of it is personality as well. she may be sing other girl as her mouthpiece so does not feel the need to talk. I suggest getting in touch with your area senco for advice and traiing for children with eal

i sometimes find that with children who are learning more than one language that there will be a period of quietness... i feel they are assimilating english (we know as adults we listen and can understand before we can respond and speak) ...especially non latin languages. Perhaps this is where this little girl is at present...can she speak fluently to her parents in polish?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)