Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Advice Please

Hi,

I have just (on friday) been told that I have been accepted onto the eyps course starting on 13th January and now I have got to find a member of staff who is level 3 to cover me on a friday. We are only open 9-12am and have a very low number of children as we have just opened and so I will only be able to afford to pay this person the minimum wage as we are currently only just drawing even and so her wages will have to come out of my pocket.

Any advice on where/how to advertise this and do u think someone will actually want to only work for 3 hours a week on minimum wage? I know I've not got long.

Thanks

Firstly congratulations on getting on your course and good luck. As for a new staff member do you not have a recruitment service through your LA to advertise this post. Yes I do think you stand a chance of getting someone, but if not do you have good relations with the other settings within your area, there may well be a member of staff that could do with a few additional hours.Good luck with this.

Definitely check out if you can claim cover costs from either your LA or the EYPS training provider. When I could claim mine it worked out at more than minimum wage fro the cover member of staff's wage. Could you then contact some other local settings who might have a member of staff who could take on an extra session at your setting when they weren't working at their own? That might be possible if your local settings work part time hours.

That is what we did, went to local setting and found someone who wanted the extra hours on that day.. she made sure the other setting knew that she could not be called upon for cover that day, worked well, she also helped occasionally for sickness if she was not at the other setting, although on all other days they had first option to call her in if she was not working.

actually thinking about it I did that sort of job for a while too, in 2 settings to get the hours and provide cover , we ended up in a good relationship and other staff helped out too if free... as it was regular hours for a years training, I was employed by both settings. Those who helped occasionally had a CRB for the other setting and we invoiced them for the hours so the staff member was paid by us.

But we were not in competition for the same children which probably helped.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)