Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

A Question For Keywokers

We don't all have the same amount of children, however, I would say, they have to wait for me to get photos developed every couple of weeks, so that week they would spend more time sticking in photos and annotating, other weeks, just a question of postits being stuck in and once per term or so 10min obs per child. If you are really good at knowing where to find your statements that always helps, if you have done focussed observations, so does that, I would probably have to say an hour per child, per week - every week was over egging it for us, anyway.

My staff are paid for an hour per month for updating folders as this is all i can afford, but because they are doing most of it in their own time they are much more ruthless with what are valid obs and what is waffle. We use photos whever possible as this saves time and provide instant evidence without having to write reams. Maybe you need to look at what is going into the folders and whether it is all relevant?

Hi, I am a keyworker for 5 children (at present) and I get an hour and half each week to update learning journals. This includes printing photos, sticking in obs, highlighting and also planning for next steps. I only have to plan next steps every other week - this means that every other week I can update all the journals. Thankfully this means that journals are usually up to date and easy (ish) to keep that way.

The hour and a half is taken during the session and is away from the children.

Realistically how much time do you think 1 folder should take to update each week?

I have a member of staff who says she works over an hour for EACH child per week!!!

What's your evaluation of this key person's folders? Can you see where she spends this amount of time? As a previous poster has said, maybe some of the info going in is not really relevant.

Maybe you need to look at what is going into the folders and whether it is all relevant?

Mmmmmm, youve hit the nail on the head there!! :o however I just can NOT make this staff member write any less - it's being going on for years xD we've had that many 1:1's it's untrue it's in one ear and out of the other.

Other staff have quoted anywhere between 1-3 hours per week, they used to get paid 1 hour a week unfortunately due to lack of funds we have had to cut this money and give time during the session, however the staff reckon it's not enough time (2hours).

I know it's backlash but ....... it's same old same old if we haven't got the money then reduce pay or staff they chose pay

Myself and the other play leader both have 14 children each who we are key workers for and who we complete learning journeys for. I know it is way too many children but that is just the way it has to be at the moment. We always do them at home and usually get 4 hours pay a month for doing these. Not really enough, but we really value the journeys and take great delight in seeing the parents and childrens pleasure when they look at them.

How much time do you spend on updating your key childrens folders/scrap books??

(What ever you use) the ones where you record their learning and next steps etc

Our keyworkers each have 8 children, aged between 2 - 4 whom all do various sessions.

our key workers are expected to update the children's learning journeys once every half term. I take mine home and usually spend a whole Sunday doing this...that is sifting through all the photo's obs etc...gluing them into timeline order..referencing pertinent points to EYFS and then planning one or two next steps/activities for each child for the next half term.

My staff update weekly but they stick photos and write comments with the children they plan with the child. Children often cut out their own pictures they stick in stickers, colour and draw in the LJ. A seperate folder houses data, wbi sheets and

the weekly updating for next steps is done at home and they get an hours pay for this

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)