Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Storysacks

hello all

we have just invested in some story sacks for home learning. We wondered if any of you have them out there that are used at home. They have obviously cost a lot of money and we have spent a lot of taking photos of the contents and copying the guides etc. We were lucky enough to get a grant purely for the purpose of them being used for home school learning. Of course we have our concerns about items not being returned and are taking all possible steps to ensure an easy check list so parents can check before returning the sack.

However, we would welcome anyones experiences of running such a scheme and any top tips.

Thank you in advance

thanks for that Cait. We have been thinking about having a bit of a drop in workshop where children and parents can come and have a look and find out what they are all about. Just wanted advice on the best way of loaning them out really but it seems no one on the forum has them to loan out other than ourselves. When yours go home how do you manage this and what happens if something from the sack is not returned?

The sack has a laminated label with a scan of the book cover (main story) on one side and a list of the sack contents on the other side. When children choose one, I go through the contents (as if I'm checking it's all there) and so they know I know what's there!

We have a really strong book borrowing system, children have their own pages in a file and parents write down the name of the book or story sack they've borrowed, and the date, and put a tick by it when it's returned. When children bring a sack back I go through it with them and see if they can talk about the contents (and I'm checking things aren't torn, soiled or missing at the same time).

If something isn't there I ask Mum first if she's aware it's not there and give her the opportunity to find it. If she can't - and she can't argue 'it wasn't there when we took it' then I just replace it.

Time, lack of skill or motivation...

time - lack of - do it with the children - we have had some great results when the children have helped

lack of skill- imagination is all thats needed

motivation-mmm now i get that but it's a shame that often money is laid for a good idea but it is never continued

creating your own keeps thing new and exciting and children talking about their creation motivates their parents :o

I don't disagree with any of the points you make, lashes2508, but realistically we are all different and work in different ways and have different priorities. Some settings are lucky enough to have funds available to spend on high quality resources which in turn releases time for staff and children to undertake different kinds of projects together. There's no right or wrong way to go about things, just ways that make sense to us.

I loved making my own resources for nursery when I was a member of staff, but my time for doing these kinds of projects reduced dramatically once I became the owner!

i was talking to another manager at a nursery and she said that she keeps the price labels on the back of every item, so parents are aware how much items cost!

I have developed three different types of 'enhanced resource bags' which are loaned out to parents (each key person has one or each...again luckily funding was available). Inside the 'share book' in each bag I have a list of the resources in each bag and check every time a bag comes back in from a parent that items are there, damaged items repaired and chase up parents for missing items which do go walk about!

I haven't been brave enough yet to send home the story sacks which are used in the setting, simply because the items are not always very strong. The books I chose for the 'chatter matter' bags I made up are board type books with puppets added for the character in the story, i feel these are better for sharing out with families.

One aspect I do love to see is parents completing the share book and popping in some photos of their child inside...and another thing when a child brings the bag back and they don't want to let it go!

Yes I have set up a story sack home learning area and resourced it from grants. So far all the bits and pieces are coming back and parents take them out as soon as they come back in, so they are well used. I bought a nice wooden peg stand from community playthings to display them on, which shows them off to their best advantage.

I do agree you could make up some from favourite books and soft toys etc. It's just finding the time to do this in a busy setting. A great project for an NVQ trainee I think!

Hi there. I have literally just made up some storysacks for our setting as I had a moment of madness and felt I could do them on a budget.

'Tiger that came to tea' is a great one to start with. I found a super stuffed Tiger for a £1.00 in a charity shop and a couple of rag dolls for Sophie and her mum. Obviously it was easy to find pots,pans and play food for the Tigger from our home corner!

Again, i sourced a cheap non fiction book on Tigers and printed a colouring page that I can photocopy as needed.

The only new item was the actual book.

Spent in total £10.

Pleased with the result. :o

Don't forget nursery rhyme sacks- a personal favourite. Easy to source and with a laminated copy of the rhyme parents are happy to engage with their child as its familair once they are reminded of the words.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)