Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Superhero Writing Observation

Please help!

My Headteacher is coming in to observe me do writing with my children on Thursday and I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do with them. We have been looking at superheroes in the past couple of weeks, and last week the children wrote about what their superhero name would be and their superpower. Our independent writing activities have included using notebooks to write down missions in the role play and searching and writing down clues to crack a code. I was wondering whether we could have a go at writing a comic strip - thinking about the beginning, middle and end of a story. But is this too adventurous when being observed? Does anyone have any other ideas of what I could do, or maybe a simplified version of the comic strip? Or should I just go for it? Any ideas would be gratefully received :)

A comic strip sounds a little difficult to me, will they actually know what this is? Unless you are going to provide the pictures, that could be difficult too.

Using your idea though, could they describe a superhero that you give them or label one and colour it appropriately perhaps or perhaps write a speach bubble. Have you read a story that you could use like this?

Good luck.

comic strips seem a little Y2 or Ks2 to me and not something that you would launch into straight away although quite often I get children to write in speech bubbles what characters are saying. I do storytelling for my literacy in reception and we are at the moment learning a superhero story (Nat fantastic which I have adapted so that it is really simple for them to learn) Nat fantastic is a geat story which lends itself for continuing the story (what will be his next adventure?) Could you not use this as a starting point for writing?

We have just finished our superhero topic and we did do comic strips and they do.look amazing but we did it in a series of lessons - but what we did is split the children into groups and after some modelling we got them to make up a story in sections - what were the baddies doing? How did the goodie contact the superhero? How did they save the day? What happened to the baddies at the end? they then acted it out and we photographed it - they then added speech bubbles and kapows!! It's probably too late in the day but good luck anyway.

Having studied the Children's literacy course whilst doing my BA through OU...its also worth knowing (reminding your head) that deciphering comic strips actually involves a higher level of decoding for children's reading skills than reading a standard book........so far from comics being a low brow resource they are indeed a way of stretching children's reading ability at the same time comic books and Manga resources in particular are very usefull for children with reading difficulties because they feel less pressured when reading them BECAUSE they are not books in the traditional format...for example Manga is read from the back to the front...which some children find exciting because it breaks the rules! Most of they need to have fun and own the project!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest katie84

Hi,

I was just wondering does anyone know of a good Superhero book that could be used in Reception that also provides a link to around the world in some way? Our topic after this half term is Around the world but I am very aware that there is high number of boys who love superheroes so I was trying to link the two together.....if not I may have to change the topic!? eeeekkkk!

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated! X

Guest LornaW

I thought all Super Heroes travelled around the world with their powers - Superman certainly did! Do you also know the stories of Rita the Rescuer? My boys loved the stories as their Grandma was called Rita!

Hi Charlie's Superhero underpants http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charlies-Superhero-Underpants-Paul-Bright/dp/1845069803 has charlie's underpants flying off the washing line and he travels all around the world trying to find them (eventually finding them being worn by a Yeti in Tibet-cue much laughter!!) this is well loved by class and we have used it in the same way that you will be as we are superheroing at the moment.

deb

Guest katie84

Thank you! That is fab I had been on amazon and have ordered that book so is great it comes recommended from a tried and tested source!

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)