Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Incidents Relating To Policies

I am a 17 year old student studying child care, one of my assignments is to relate incidents to policies and what went wrong.

The policies/procedures/legislation's I have to cover are:

- Child collection policy

- Food safety act (personal hygiene or kitchen hygiene)

- Data protection act

- RIDDOR

- Confidentiality legislation

- Adult to child ratio

- Risk assessments

- Hygiene control procedures

- Emergency procedures (fire, missing child, abduction, illness)

For all of these I need a incident where the policy wasn't being followed correctly and why.

I have covered Adult to child ratio with the Teddy Bear's Nursery in which a staff member was left alone with children and was able to abuse them. I have also covered food safety act with the Jigsaw's Day Nursery in which a child was fed food they were allergic to, which led to his death.

If anyone could help me on the remaining policies I would be forever grateful! :D

(This is my first post! Eeeek! :wacko: )

Edited by Guest

Welcome to the Forum, Leanne and congratulations on making your first post.

If you do need real incidents to reflect on, there are many reported incidents of children escaping from nursery - just do a quick google and it'll make your hair stand on end! :o

and there was an incident I remember reading about a child who drowned in a puddle while at nursery , a while ago now but google may help find it..

and one who was strangled by the cord on a bag hanging on a cot.. here

both could be used for risk assessments either not being done or not followed..

also try a search for food poisoning in nursery also throws up a few articles..

sometimes it is knowing the sort of things to search for.

i woudl suggest when doing this you note where you got the information from so that you can show it and find it again if needed..

data protection act...school recently been taken to court for not protecting the data of the children in their care....all files were taken home on a laptop and laptop was stolen (again im sure its on google somewhere)

riddor and child/adult ratio ...headmaster taken to court (and lost) for not protecting a small boy in his school...the boy jumped down some steps and hit his head resulting in death at a later stage, school was found to be guilty of not providng enough adults and for allowing child to access this group of steps

cor makes you wonder why we do this job! <_< ;)

Edited by finleysmaid
  • Like 1

Hi can I just be devils advocate and be extremely careful that in naming and shaming any person, group etc, that the information you describe is accurate and true and not just media hype. We have all heard of very upsetting and truly horrifying cases of neglect and possible negligence but the whole truth is not always portrayed in the press. Just another thought on your assignment. Definitely agree with the suggestion of clarifying where you obtained your findings from. Good luck with your course.

Real incidents are needed for this I'm afraid, its a research task! I've been searching for weeks for these incidents but not knowing what to type into google made it difficult!

Thank you all very much, these incidents will help me a lot and I'm sure my assignment will be done in no time at all! It's scary what goes on in some setting's isn't it!

Fredbear there's no naming and shaming, its all confidential so nothing can be named! But good thought anyway :D

Real incidents are needed for this I'm afraid, its a research task! I've been searching for weeks for these incidents but not knowing what to type into google made it difficult!

Thank you all very much, these incidents will help me a lot and I'm sure my assignment will be done in no time at all! It's scary what goes on in some setting's isn't it!

and if you need a very recent one... check here.. remembering that we only know one side of the story... there could be a very good reason/explanation behind it...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)