Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Small World - What Do You Have In Your Resources

Guest terrydoo73

Guest terrydoo73

Here is my list of small world resources - is there something I am missing out on or perhaps could add to?

Dolls house with furniture

Garage with lorries, diggers, cars etc

Fire station with personnel and engines

Train tracks and trains

Igloo with huskeys, eskimos etc

Zoo set with animals and cages

Cash tills, money, shopping baskets etc

Farm buildings with animals, tractors, people

Castle, horses and carriages, queen king jester

Airport with planes, personnel and luggage

Helicopter set with helicopter and personnel

ummm trying to think..

we have dinosaurs

space

wildlife (bugs and beasties)

nope brain freeze - will have to have a look when i go in tomorrow and see what we have!

Guest terrydoo73

OK so you have dinosaurs as in the animals but what about background? Do you have any particular play set for them?

Our love putting dinosaurs in wet sand, creating a sort of swamp. We get some great language.

Love that idea. We added different size pieces of work, branches stones etc and one child got very inventive with a piece of blu tac so her branches stood up to make a tree!!!!

We also have a pirate ship was that mentioned???

• Like 1

we have a plastic 'dino' mat, jungle scene etc on it -or we give the children pieces of different coloured / textured fabrics (greens, blues, browns, black) large pebbles and twigs -and they make their own scenes.

we also have -

water creatures -fish, octopus, whales,

boats

we also have 'happy street' from ELC (well...car boot sale really !) and they love it

in the reception class they have army vehicles, soildiers, helicopter etc -the children really enjoy it, but it depends what your views are on this.

just remembered, we've also got a box full of little people, some of the families from consortium, some playmobil , duplo, lego people,some from mcdonalds happy meals lol !! - if i see any little people at carboot sales or charity shops i get them. the children love using them all around then setting -taking them outside in the plant pots, in puddles, the sand pit,

• Like 1

castle and knights is our favourite at the moment to which we add princesses, dragons, unicorns, witches etc to encourage story telling

OK so you have dinosaurs as in the animals but what about background? Do you have any particular play set for them?

I have random logs, fake plants (from IKEA) a grass mat, and a ferny looking doormat (also IKEA) and a whole variety of stones, bark chips and pond cut outs (blue fabric) which I use for various small world set ups

just remembered, we've also got a box full of little people, some of the families from consortium, some playmobil , duplo, lego people,some from mcdonalds happy meals lol !! - if i see any little people at carboot sales or charity shops i get them. the children love using them all around then setting -taking them outside in the plant pots, in puddles, the sand pit,

Now, I like to think of myself as a pretty laid-back type, but having duplo mixed up with playmobile does my head in. Heaven forbid there should be random bits and pieces mixed in there too. the playmobile, connex etc might have been car-booted to yours. enjoy.

Honey

• Like 3

Blimey Honeybee you would hate our big box of 'people' then - we have allsorts- duplo, playmobile, sticklebrick people, dolly peg dolls, soft mini dolls, fisher price people all mixed up . That way the children can choose the most appealing and we aren't constantly scrabbling to sort and tidy into individual sets!

• Like 1

Here is my list of small world resources - is there something I am missing out on or perhaps could add to?

Dolls house with furniture

Garage with lorries, diggers, cars etc

Fire station with personnel and engines

Train tracks and trains

Igloo with huskeys, eskimos etc

Zoo set with animals and cages

Cash tills, money, shopping baskets etc

Farm buildings with animals, tractors, people

Castle, horses and carriages, queen king jester

Airport with planes, personnel and luggage

Helicopter set with helicopter and personnel

what about a pirate ship and pirates and woodwork bench with tools

we put our dinosaurs in sand (we have coloured fine sand as well as normal) and we also put them in gelli baff and sometimes just on their own in a tough spot (with or without rocks!)

Now, I like to think of myself as a pretty laid-back type, but having duplo mixed up with playmobile does my head in. Heaven forbid there should be random bits and pieces mixed in there too. the playmobile, connex etc might have been car-booted to yours. enjoy.

Honey

Arh... see- maybe an age thing..............(although I haven't a clue how old fimbo actually is xD )............... but until three weeks ago this would have been me- however we now have a box of 'mixed' people and I find I actually like them that way!!! And it such a good opportunity for sorting too :D ::1a :D

It is just people though- no odd bricks or stuff. :P

• Like 1

Blimey Honeybee you would hate our big box of 'people' then - we have allsorts- duplo, playmobile, sticklebrick people, dolly peg dolls, soft mini dolls, fisher price people all mixed up . That way the children can choose the most appealing and we aren't constantly scrabbling to sort and tidy into individual sets!

So do we and without question it is the most favourite resource with the children.

We do have duplo people with the duplo, playmobil with the playmobil, people in the dolls house etc etc but the 'big people box' is great! these people go anywhere and do anything. A little one took 2 of these people, got two disposable clear plastic cups, 2 paper hand towels and spent ages tucking them into bed in the cups! brilliant to watch, cups carefully laid on the side. I was then told the cups were sleeping bags, the paper towels were blankets because the people were cold :D

Arh... see- maybe an age thing..............(although I haven't a clue how old fimbo actually is xD )............... but until three weeks ago this would have been me- however we now have a box of 'mixed' people and I find I actually like them that way!!! And it such a good opportunity for sorting too :D ::1a :D

It is just people though- no odd bricks or stuff. :P

yes, ours is just people...(and im 42 shhhhhhhhhhhhh .....) ,interesting tho, as i expect everyone has something that would drive them potty in their setting :D

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)