Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Hi all,

We are looking at asking parents to provide a pair of slippers for their child to wear indoors at playgroup.

Does anyone else do this and how do you manage it?

What response do you get from parents?

Do you also ask parents to provide wellies for outdoors?

• Like 1

We have always asked for slippers or pumps for indoors. Children change into them when they arrive and put the peg from the slippers onto their shoes. Pegs are labelled with child's name. Shoes go into a box which is for a specific colour group for a key person. Boxes have the children's name labels on too, so if another relative is doing it they can see where they go. We have loads of Wellies, so don't ask for those. By the way, we ask for non-novelty slippers (no footballs or dogs heads) so they support children's feet properly and are easier to dry if they get soaked. It certainly helps with dressing skills

Edited by Cait
  • Like 2

yes we do this, we ask for black pe type daps.

we have a hanging shoe pocket by the door -parents help them take off outdoor shoes in the entrance, they then find their daps in thier named 'pocket' -they sit on the carpet and put them on (with help if needed)

these then stay on all session -indoors and out -they take them off at hometime -put them back in their pocket , putting their shoes on for hometime with the parents.

the idea behind this for us was, we were originally we trying to keep our brand new (and expensive) carpeted area clean (as much as possible) we have tots sessions with babies, and at one time there was an issue with dog poo outside the school gate :rolleyes: -all the parents were happy for us to do this, all the staff have 'preschool shoes ' - i myself have a rather hideous pair of silver crocs -which the children think are clown shoes as they are so big lol!!!

we ask for wellies if we intend to go gardening and its muddy, but luckily (or not) our playground is just tarmac, so we dont have any problems with the daps being worn outside -and if they do get wet, we just dry them on the radiator, and we always have spares anyway.

• Like 1

We just have shoes indoors but we do ask for wellies for outside as our garden gets muddy most of the year. MOst parents provide and we have some spares. I'd prefer slippers inside (at home we do this!) but I don't think parents would provide and I can't buy slippers as well. Also the logistics of changing shoes much might be a bit much. Staff would have to do it too I think. And what about visitors? At home I ask people to take their shoes off with very few exceptions. People probably think I'm mad!

• Like 1

We ask for black pe shoes, doodles or slippers and parents change these as part of the settling in the morning, they then change them back at the end of the session. It saves our carpet and makes the settling in part of the daily routine time with carers.

We just ask for some 'indoor shoes' that are easy to get on- resulting in doodles, crocs, sandals, slip on pumps, slippers etc.

All our children are expected to change into indoor daps or slippers on arrival, and provide a pair of wellies and sun hat that stay in the setting. We keep the boots on mobile lunch box type trolley, our outdoors is in 3 areas, decking from playroom, artificial grassed play area, then a large grassed area so depending on weather / staff ratios the wellies can be moved so children know if they can access an area in daps or need to put their boots on, works really well and even the 2 yr olds soon get it.

Just wondering - how does free flow play indoors and out happen with all this changing of shoes?

It's manic to start with but you end up with very self sufficient children eventually :D

we have indoor shoes (whatever they arrive in) and if they go in the garden then they put their boots on (which they all supply and are kept at pre-school in a lunchbox trolley which is our boot store. In winter they change inside and line their shoes up along the corridor in summer it all gets put outside...we do this to keep the sand and mud outside as much as possible

• Like 1

Ours is very much like yours finleysmaid, works well they soon get used to changing footwear and it's a good way to promote independence and self care, as well as looking for their names in 30 pairs of matching daps and it's suprising how quickly they manage putting one wellie inside the other to replace in trolley.

Ours is very much like yours finleysmaid, works well they soon get used to changing footwear and it's a good way to promote independence and self care, as well as looking for their names in 30 pairs of matching daps and it's suprising how quickly they manage putting one wellie inside the other to replace in trolley.

he he ....yes VERY like ours ...we too put them inside each other (110 wellies take up a lot of room!) xD :rolleyes: we have a couple of little bench things that can be moved inside and out too so that they have somewhere to sit...but most of them just use the floor!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have an 'No outdoor shoe' policy inside. All parents love this. Very cosy feel they say. MY self and all staff too wear slippers inside. Parents have always been very happy to provide and always for wellies too ^_^

i agree with promoting independence with all the shoe changing but surely it hinders freeflow or would as we have only 3 hours, this probably does work for those in nursery type settings, we encourage appropriate footwear , do slippers not hinder physical play - danger for equipment ?? or is it because these items are outside ?? we ask for plimsolls and although we have some of our own wellies they are tiny !! so have been asking parents to bring them in - some leave them with us all the time , some bring them in when its sunny and forget them when its raining!!!! i would love to waer my slippers for work but hard floors and too much risk interm of accidents for me !!

i agree with promoting independence with all the shoe changing but surely it hinders freeflow or would as we have only 3 hours, this probably does work for those in nursery type settings, we encourage appropriate footwear , do slippers not hinder physical play - danger for equipment ?? or is it because these items are outside ?? we ask for plimsolls and although we have some of our own wellies they are tiny !! so have been asking parents to bring them in - some leave them with us all the time , some bring them in when its sunny and forget them when its raining!!!! i would love to waer my slippers for work but hard floors and too much risk interm of accidents for me !!

I can see you point but our children would rather walk around with no shoes on and so in our opinion slippers are safer as they protect their feet that little bit more and as Cait says children will do things alot quicker if they think they are missing out on something! (such as going outside). :1b

Plain black velcro plimsolls are the go all the way. And not the ones that need to be fed through a keeper to do them up. I have them inside and outside as far as the deck then wellies or mock-crocs if they want to go in the garden. They go home at the end of term - just like PE kit from school.

Honey

We used to ask for slippers inside but our numbers are quite high and shoes went walkies! We find it easier now as each child has a labelled basket under their peg that they keep their wellies / slippers in, the idea being that they switch them over. This only really works with the older children as the 2 year olds and younger tend to like playing dress up with anyones shoes!

• Like 1

As a childminder with low numbers it works well. Children wear slippers, either their own or i can provide. Same with wellies. I have a large mat by the door so children can sit and change footwear which saves mud being waked in and the children get used to sorting themseleves out pretty quickly. They can access the garden whenever they wish so i guess there is more incentive to become independent, even the 18 mth old can wriggle out of his slippers. I guess it can be difficult with larger numbers of children all needing to find the right boot or slipper, the answer is probably each child having a set place to put their slippers/boots so they don't get muddled.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)