Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Two Year Old Checks Policy Anyone?

Hi there....in the new parents guide to the Eyfs there is a page all about the 2 year old checks. I'm thinking of using that as a guide to write a small section in our policies and parents packs. Also i'm going to write a short sentence in our enrolment forms for parents to sign and agree to the check when they register there child at the setting. This will hopefully rule out any comments from parents like..."i wasnt informed of this" or "i dont want my child to be 'assessed' at two years old" etc. Hope that helps :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondered if anyone has done this policy yet? Am all policied out- have done 'mobile phone', 'social networking' and 'camera/photography' ones today and can't seem to find the impetus to start the 2 year old one yet and was hoping to pinch one from some else!! Well, better to be honest I guess but seriously, I would be grateful to have a little peek at one as a starting point. thanks in advance

Guest cathy m

I don't think it's necessary to do a specific policy but agree good to put something in parental involvement one and have the discussion with new starters and perhaps include information in a newsletter

My LA suggested that a policy would be a good idea based around the guidance. Key points suggested for the policy were to help the setting deal with children who, although 2 when joining you are actually rising 3 year olds. It is unrealistic to do a check on a child you hardly know but what will your policy say about allowing a child to have a settling-in period during which they may turn 3 and then the check doesn't need to be done. (My LA are still trying to get some sense and guidance about this from goverment)

Also a good idea for your policy is to stipulate how many hours attendance a child should have done so that you can get to know the child before you undertake the check as some children only attend once a week for maybe a couple of hours.

Your policy should also make it clear that you will not do the check if the child attends another setting for more time than yours.

I have amended our admissions contract to ask specifically about whether a check has already been done at another setting and asking for a copy of it too as there is no point doubling up. The workload for these checks is not to be underestimated and we are costing it between September and March in terms of staff time

• Like 2

My LA suggested that a policy would be a good idea based around the guidance. Key points suggested for the policy were to help the setting deal with children who, although 2 when joining you are actually rising 3 year olds. It is unrealistic to do a check on a child you hardly know but what will your policy say about allowing a child to have a settling-in period during which they may turn 3 and then the check doesn't need to be done. (My LA are still trying to get some sense and guidance about this from goverment)

Also a good idea for your policy is to stipulate how many hours attendance a child should have done so that you can get to know the child before you undertake the check as some children only attend once a week for maybe a couple of hours.

Your policy should also make it clear that you will not do the check if the child attends another setting for more time than yours.

I have amended our admissions contract to ask specifically about whether a check has already been done at another setting and asking for a copy of it too as there is no point doubling up. The workload for these checks is not to be underestimated and we are costing it between September and March in terms of staff time

This seems a really good approach, the question of rising 3 year olds is one that has already arisen in my setting, we often only see them for 1 session a week before they attain their funding, we have been given similar advice by our LA.

It does seem unreasonable to do a check on a child you donot really know, and the vast majority of our children attend us as their first and only setting.

I for one will be covering all bases within our policy !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)