Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Putting Paint Out Themselves

Anyone got any good ideas for a good way that children can put out paint themselves. Trying to make art area more self selecting with paint.. Ok with powder paint but how can we set up so that they can choose ready mix themselves. We buy paint in large 5 litre...... I think........tubs. Small plastic sauce bottles.?????

• Like 1

We use old liquid soap bottles with the pump top so that can get one squirt or two!

I've also seen sugar dispensers being used for powder paint.

Becs

I am also trying to think of ways to make our creative area more self selecting for September and LOVE the hand soap dispenser idea. Lets face it we have 16 two and a half year olds starting in September and emptying soap dispensers always seems to be the most popular activity for the first few weeks!!!! Thanks for the idea.

• Like 1

we use the soap dispensers with yogurt pots and an assortment of brushes sponges etc. the children need help at first or they go squirt mad if we had more space we would leave a bowl for them to wash the brushes .We are trialing pva in roll on deodrant bottles they need running under the hot tap to re free them each morning it needs thining a little . We found that they use loads and thought this might save us a little bit not sure if it will work in practice yet.

We are trialing pva in roll on deodrant bottles they need running under the hot tap to re free them each morning it needs thining a little . We found that they use loads and thought this might save us a little bit not sure if it will work in practice yet.

I like the sound of that idea - let us know how it goes! I have the same problem. We have old goldfish food pots with lids that our lollipop lady donates. They're pretty good but we do end up with them very firmly stuck together some times!

Loving the soap dispenser idea. Along the paint theme-would you recommend I get easel? At the moment there is just a table, but the chn also do junk modeling and other creative activities.I was thinking an easel would enable painting all the time.outside I'm going to use a cardboard box as an easel Yy

I like the sound of that idea - let us know how it goes! I have the same problem. We have old goldfish food pots with lids that our lollipop lady donates. They're pretty good but we do end up with them very firmly stuck together some times!

We have tried a couple of things with the "wet" pva, we use large lids from coffee jars - just throw them away at the end of the session if there is not too much glue left in them, we used to use the little plastic pots with lids which camera film came in - alas with technology we no longer have them in an abundant supply and I also use hair dye squeezy bottles and although the small nozzle can build up with dried glue, we have plenty of nozzles so we can just change them over!

Hello

Ok i'm embarrassed - the links that HelenD26 has posted are from my pre-school - hope you like my ideas.

I use squeezy sauce bottles (purchased in kitchen departments) to keep glue in - we sometimes have to run under the tap if they become clogged - but normally they are ok. A small screwdriver pushed down them also works well.

As for ready mixed we have the bottles they come in for the children, but small glass tea light holders for pots so not much paint fits in - the children can only select a small quantity then and its a pouring exercise.

My powder paint is the most popular though and we store that in sugar shakers

-

I know Alistair has posted lots of photos of my settings paint area so hope they help.

• Like 5

I use sugar dispensers after adding alistairs blog but they are hard to get hold of. I got mine from amazon. I also have a hand soap bottle with water in and paint pallets for mixing the paint, it does require training though otherwise they go shake and squirt mad. Once they shuck it so hard the lid flew off and they got covered in red powder paint! Luckily Mum was ok with it all.

For poster paint I have the 5l bottles with a pump on the top ( bigger version of the hand soap ones) I did see them in a catelogue once but have forgotten which one and can't find then again but they come ( pumps ) with school cleaning products so I got mine from the caretaker! I like the idea of sauce bottles though.

Glue is always a problem as it dries up, currently I use the little pots with lids you get from the takeaway that contain the sauces e.g. Chutney from the Indian (good excuse for a takeaway!)

We have used a self serve powder paint area with hand soap dispensers for the water and formula milk scoops for the powder. I think one thing to consider is the size of the contaiiner they are mixing in... some children will carry in until it is full so the smaller the better!! Less waste that way :)

• Like 1

Hey Helen

I have been looking into the idea of sugar dispensers after reading the ABC post a few months ago, do you use glass or plastic?

Thanks

Claire

Hello

Ok i'm embarrassed - the links that HelenD26 has posted are from my pre-school - hope you like my ideas.

I use squeezy sauce bottles (purchased in kitchen departments) to keep glue in - we sometimes have to run under the tap if they become clogged - but normally they are ok. A small screwdriver pushed down them also works well.

As for ready mixed we have the bottles they come in for the children, but small glass tea light holders for pots so not much paint fits in - the children can only select a small quantity then and its a pouring exercise.

My powder paint is the most popular though and we store that in sugar shakers

-

I know Alistair has posted lots of photos of my settings paint area so hope they help.

welcome Helen - loved your article on Alistairs blog; very inspirational

We use everything suggested (the use of hand soap dispensers means the actual soap in the bathroom now gets left alone :D so double win for us!) and also add in trigger spray bottles (small ones from the £ shop) for variety and strengthening finger muscles - and confusing the little blighters as they have to learn not to tip the bottle up when squirting, so a little 2 handed co-ordination is needed.

When i first saw this post i thought it said

putting paint on themselves Hahaha! Oops..

me too :blink: , but that's another thread!

Hello

We do use glass sugar shakers - not only do they feel great, but they are heavy and don't wobble or tip. They wash up a dream and the children help fill them up every day. (I haven't had any breakages).

Mine were from 'The Range' and little hands have no problem picking them up.

The best mixing dishes were tiny glass cookware dishes too.

have fun and let me know how your paint areas change.

Helen

X

I have been out and got 7 pots of palmolive soap and decanted them into an empty drinks bottle so I could wash out the dispensers! (the were on half price!) I am excited to try the self service paint idea. Thanks for sharing your methods.

Mel

Only EY practitioners would understand that!!! xD

• Like 5

I regularly e-mail our entire staff asking them to save soap dispensers, pringles cans or bring in any smooth stones they find on my travels. They've gradually stopped looking at me oddly. My mum though still doesn't quite understand why I have a classes worth of toilet roll tubes and a sack full of empty teabag boxes in my under stairs cupboard!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)