Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Home Visits

Guest ChunkyMan

Guest ChunkyMan

Hi all,

Nor sure if this is the correct place to put this.

I will be doing home visits next week and wonder what other people do on theres.

Myself and NNEB visit and previously I have spent time talking to Mum/Dad and filling in forms, getting info etc whilst my TA plays and interact with the child - we usually give the child their book bag with some pencils, scissors etc in, also we have previously used a test to establish the extent of the childs vocab - think it is may be Nelson....I'm not sure that this is relevant anymore as it doesn't really inform assessment.

What do you all do?

Cx

usually one of us engages with the child and the other with the parent. I tend to talk to the parent and I go through forms, medical history, what the child enjoys, talk about how they learn and answer any questions. My TA usually just chats about any pets, siblings, likes/dislikes, friends coming to school, she also asks what toys we should get out for them to play with on the first day. We keep it really informal and don't do any kind of assessment although we leave with a pretty good picture. We don't give any resources out (although I quite like that idea!) We also take photos of the child which we use around the classroom for various different things. We allow 20 mins and 5 minutes to get to the next house and do 30 over 3 days (phew!)

Deb

Our format is the same. Usually I talk to the parent and my TA interacts with the child, but sometimes its the other way round. This year I'm going to take our 'All About Me' forms to give to the parents and either ask them to bring back to school or fill in then and there with them (as we have some parents with literacy issues). I always take a photo which we use in their Learning Diaries, and also use it as a chance to get to know the child's interests. Last year we had several farming children and lots of others with horses/dogs/chickens etc (we are in a very rural area!), so we started off the year with 'The Little Red Hen'!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)