Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

"break The Flow Of Speech Into Words"

Hi all,

I am sitting here back to planning for nursery... Looking at the new development matters, and I saw this one:

"Begins to break the flow of speech into words"

I know this was in the old EYFS and I still have no idea what they mean by it... please help!

Thanks!

Debbie xx

The letters and sounds packs also describe these.

Missing off the sheet is digraph which is basically a phoneme with 2 letters making one sound so e.g. /ch/ or /th/.

There are also vowel digraphs such as /ea/ and split digraphs such as in bite, where the ie digraph is separated by another letter bt makes the same sound.

Breaking the flow of speech - if you go back into writing development the child will start to chunk letters into random groups, moving on from just letter strings so writing starts to look like conventional words e.g. eelld bees oolld, maybe with or without initial phonemes and usually using letters they know randomly. They are beginning to understand that speech is made up of units of sound that can be isolated either verbally or in writing or reading.

Cx

Edited by catma

So this would be more for when they actually start using letters in their writing then?

I have a little one who is still at the "squiggle" stage, but makes distinct squiggles for each word, and breaks words into sound chunks as she is "writing" ie

"hap-py bir-th-day dad-dy" She uses no recognisible letters, but does leave gaps between marks...

I have a little one who is still at the "squiggle" stage, but makes distinct squiggles for each word, and breaks words into sound chunks as she is "writing" ie

"hap-py bir-th-day dad-dy" She uses no recognisible letters, but does leave gaps between marks...

I would say that is an excellent example of the statement in question.

Just looking at their writing will tell you - rather than trying to test for it. Analyse how they write rather than what. Try looking at this, which shows the stages of development http://fourblock.wikispaces.com/file/view/StagesofWritinghandout.pdf. This is referenced to the the classic text for writing develoment http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_beginnings_of_writing.html?id=jyMEAQAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y.

Cx

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)