Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Behavioural Obs Sheet

Hello there

I was wondering if anyone has a type of behavioural obs sheet cum checklist for me to use on a little boy in our setting who is showing signs of difficulties in understanding others and managing his own feelings.

I am sure that I have seen something before whereby the observer monitors the child for a specific length of time noting, certain things like time at an activity, triggers to raising levels of anger, impulsive behaviour, odd facial expressions etc Before I try and cobble something together I thought I would ask here.

Have had a really hard day with him and although he has only just started mum has also voiced her concerns. When I mentioned that we might need to take the slow and soft approach (i.e. limiting his time to allow him to have a positive start and also to enable the others to settle) she was supportive (phone conversation yesterday with her). Today when I said we would like to do some half days for a little while (not a light hearted decision) she was extremely defensive (as you would be), reversing her understanding of what we had already discussed and to boot called me patronising! I felt gutted as I always try my very best to be as supportive and proactive in relation to the needs of the child :mellow:

Anyway, long story short - he will do some half days for a little while and so I plan to carry out some intensive obs to help us all best understand him.

I would greatly appreciate any help :D

You are not alone, I had a very similar situation today and feel the same way you do, so reading your post has helped me not feel so bad... we try our best but sometimes we just have to shrug our shoulders and hold our heads up because we know what we are talking about. I think your parent, like mine is just being defensive and they probably know we are right! I think you are doing the right thing and I wish you luck in helping him settle and hope that one day your parent says thank you!

wellerkaren - thank you for that it is very useful and something I can adapt and use. I appreciate it, particularly as we have had another child start today with a HUGE anger problem - nothing like being scratched and punched in the face when trying to calmly request that said child does not jump on the trains :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)