Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Parent/child input to next half Topic plans

We (new job-share partner and I) have begun to adopt a more child-led approach to our planning. Tick

For our first topic 'All About Me', partner discussed the theme with the children and together they drew up a scattergram of the themes the children thought were important about them. Tick

Now we want to involve parents with their child in planning for next half term so intend to send something home at half term inviting parents input. But I'm not sure exactly what to send.

Do any of you kind and lovely forum members have examples of what you have sent home along this line that you would share?

The topic theme is pretty much pre-set in quick hardening concrete - Opposites.

I'm wondering whether we should indicate 3 or 4 pairs of opposites that have proved popular in years past and ask for parent/child's input on that. 'Light and Dark' being the most obvious and 'Big and Little', 'Wet and Dry', Hot and Cold' perhaps and then an 'any other ideas'.

Any examples, ideas, thoughts gratefully received. Thank you

Evening,

We actually do this activity in two ways:

We invite the parents into class to plan with their child, within a small group. We do a little presentation on what we have learnt so far and introduce them to the topic which is chosen by the children. I give each group a huge piece of paper and some guidance - such as songs, visitors, visits, books, and general activities to do with the topic. When we did 'Ourselves' we simply asked for 'science' based activities. The parents then had a focus. Lots of them had many smashing ideas; someone knew a doctor who came to visit, another was able to suggest lots of picture books.

For those parents who are unable to come into school we give the child/parent an A3 piece of paper and explain what we are learning and what our focus is. We don't always get loads back, but the ones that do come in are good and at least I can say I am trying my best to include the parents as much as I can.

I love the idea of inviting the parents into the setting.

But early days for us.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of explanatory letter do you send home and is it just a blank A3 sheet? I'm thinking I might need to make something a bit eye-catching on the computer!

I just wondered how much detail you gave parents.

I have a feeling our parents will see it as passing the buck - it's an independent school. Thanks for your efforts.

Hard and soft is easy and we used to do clay modelling and salt dough so you could incorporate the idea of change

As for hot and cold.....loads of stuff you can do but one that worked well for us was freezing toys in blocks of ice and one day my colleague sprayed a teddy with water and then put it in the freezer and the next frosty morning we had said she had found it in the garden and we had the children problem solving how to warm the teddy up...blankets and scarves and putting it by the radiator etc

• Like 2

one day my colleague sprayed a teddy with water and then put it in the freezer and the next frosty morning we had said she had found it in the garden and we had the children problem solving how to warm the teddy up...blankets and scarves and putting it by the radiator etc

Oh thanks Sue - I am so stealing that idea! :1b

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)