Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Playdough

Hi

We are having a nightmare with playdough! It goes everywhere and we are getting in trouble from the owners of the village hall for the mess on the carpet in the corridor where children have got it on their shoes. It goes all over the floor even if we tell the children to try and keep it on the table!! I would like to put it out more often as the children love it but we get moaned at a lot by the owners every time we do!

Does anyone else have this problem? and what do you do?

It scrubs out pretty well once its dried, use a spoon or something else blunt to flick it off the threads, I know because I had to scrape it (secretly) off the carpet in a limousine after the children had clambered all over it when we did 'vehicles' as a topic. :o

Apart from that, well, what can I say, I'm getting a bit fed up with people laying down rules at the moment. :(

• Like 1

have you thought about using clay instead? Will wash out of most things pretty quickly, less likely to be trampled in anyway and makes for a different tactile experience altogether from playdough. If you store the clay in a tub with a clip on lid (we have one of those little bins with the wire clips on) it will keep the clay moist. We also add a couple of cupfuls of water to keep it extra moist. Even when clay dries out if you add water to it, it will reconstitute itself. Maybe worth considering.

The benefits of extra work for little fingers is also a plus.

• Like 1

we used clay a lot in addition to playdough...

clay is easy to keep in condition. make tennis ball sized balls, push a finger into the middle to make a hole. fill with water and seal with the clay over the top.. store in airtight bin.. when using next time knead the water if any left into the clay ball... better than putting water into the container with the clay. and ideally should be one without the fibres.. so not a self hardening one unless you want it for a purpose.

it does make a lot less mess than playdough but can be harder to manipulate.

depending on location and policies but we found if children had no shoes on they would not spread the playdough as they felt it and it tended to stay on the table rather than under it.

• Like 2

A cheaper version of moon dough is flour and baby oil, think it can be found under cloud dough on google for quantities. Lovely texture

We have the same problem but have yet to find a solution other than using alternatives, but can't not have dough. think it goes back to our training and copious sessions making various kinds lol

Guest sn0wdr0p

Whilst my husband was fitting a new kitchen (it took months and months) we had to live, eat and cook in the lounge around all the boxes. Unfortunately, in the chaos I failed to notice that my youngest had dropped a rather large amount of science putty into the carpet and some time later I discovered it well welded into the pile. No matter what I tried I could not get it out, scraping, all difernt cleaning fluids, brushes etc. I have had to live with what loooks like a shiny chewing gum type mess on the carpet for two years now.

UNTIL LAST WEEK when I bought a steam cleaner, wow it's fantastic and brought it off straight away. My shower, oven, mirrors, ..... are gleaming.I'm taking it to work at the weekend to have a go at the carpets. Someone on this forum recommended doing the plastic chairs with it so I'll have a go at that as well. I went for a medium range price one- Vax at £160.

I will let you know how the carpets at work come up.

max what is floam?

floam.jpg its a commerically bought stretchy doughy material that is made of teeny little coloured balls which can be moulded like dough as it retains its shape but somehow it doesn't stick to material. Its brilliant for children who don't like being 'dirty' but still gives them a tactile experience. we use it 2 or 3 times a week, it comes in masses of colours including glow in the dark and lasts for ever

floam.jpg its a commerically bought stretchy doughy material that is made of teeny little coloured balls which can be moulded like dough as it retains its shape but somehow it doesn't stick to material. Its brilliant for children who don't like being 'dirty' but still gives them a tactile experience. we use it 2 or 3 times a week, it comes in masses of colours including glow in the dark and lasts for ever

eww...floam, i cant stand it...we were given some green floam, reminded me of sticky little bogeys lol !!!

• Like 1

I assume the dough is being transported and trodden through on children's shoes ? We get round this ( when the staff remember to remind the children!) by them - the children that is not the staff - removing their shoes when in the dough area and popping them in a box , then when finished they take their shoes and pop them back on - any dough stood in is then on socks/feet - both of which are more easily washed than carpets!

Alternatively the steamer is a good option as a fall-back, we have one and it's very useful. :1b

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)