Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Tracking pupil progress

Hi, I have just sat down to look at the tracking sheet and mentally prepare myself for my half term job. I don't know if anyone feels the same but I really feel that the DM seem harder to achieve this year. Is it me reading too deeply into the statements or its harder? I have a challenging cohort and feel a little worried by the new statements and what is potentially expected. I really worry that as practitioner this new document leave the statements incredibly open to interpretation and no definitive explanation of what things mean?? I sound so very moany!!! :oD

It's clear that we are just going to have to start again from scratch in terms of moderation of judgements. On first look I think I am going to have less nursery children scoring 36 months or below but I also think that its going to take a couple of years for the profiles to settle down. It's ridiculous to have this years scores as reported results - I am old enough to remember how quickly judgements changed between the first second and third years of the profile scores. For now just use your best judgment and attend any moderation meetings you can plus keep an eye out for the profile guidance.

It's really hard isn't it, I feel like less children are going to be able to achieve! With it being an ofsted year you just want to get it right.

Guest tinkerbell

To be honest I think its a nightmare.

I have already decided to challenge my LEA at the next moderating meeting b ecause as Androyd has pointed out goal posts move.

I remember the children in reception were expected to achieve all learning goals 1-9.then hey ho not to get 9's and if you did my LEA would phone the school and ask if the scores needed to be ajusted!

So my question will be 'Are all children expected to get the ELG's at the end of the reception year or (tongue in cheek) is there a percentage of emerging,expected and shock horror not too many exceeds!

sorry this is not helpful but I find it all very woolly...where is this assessment guideline book?

I shall just get on with teaching the children what I feel is necessary!

I have already decided to challenge my LEA at the next moderating meeting b ecause as Androyd has pointed out goal posts move.

So my question will be 'Are all children expected to get the ELG's at the end of the reception year or (tongue in cheek) is there a percentage of emerging,expected and shock horror not too many exceeds!

Fair enough if they make the changes, but they don't. They are as much in the dark re the final EYFSP documentation as you are so play fair!!

We do not know yet what a "good overall level of development" will be defined as.There have been some indications that the LA will get a briefing from the DfE in January.

Cx

so glad to see others are having this dilemna. Have moved to Reception from Nursery this year which adds to my concerns. Also work overseas so have no LA to fall back on.

definately harder and i expect that expected progress won't be good enough.... i'm in nursery and we have 14 children that were with us as rising 3's and were 30-50 emerging in july, but we have judged them to be 22-36 secure now in some areas, especially physical, where tripod grip required. and feel same. think it will be hard to get as many as possible to 30-50 secure as there are more children with speech issues and they come in lower and lower. omg!! x

It's a scary thought though having a tough cohort and sending them up as below expected!!! :o( I know that's thinking way into the future but never had such a low bunch!

I am finding the same pretty much. I have finished my baselines and was worried I was being extremely harsh cos a lot of my chn were best fitting I the 30-50 DM bands, especially for Maths and reading and writing. They are also chn who come from very advantageous backgrounds too.

it surprised me how some from more advantaged backgrounds are below expected too, but as there is more expectation in bands now, it is not surprising x

I can honestly say I am so pleased it is not just me! The best fit for the majority of my children is 30-50m and then within in that I will have children emerging, developing and secure within that. I am starting tomorrow, wish luck! I'll let you all know how I get on and if I still have hair by the end of it :)

Well I'm very nearly there and I can say that my predictions were pretty much spot on! All in 30-50 ranging from secure to emerging!!! I do officially hate the new way of assessing!!! :(

Guest littlemissblonde

I have been asked to report my baseline as the DM band the children are secure so whilst my records show most children are emerging or are developing within 30-50 they are recorded as secure within 22-36

I'm struggling to record a baseline for UW and EAD because in the space of 6 weeks children havn't yet had the opportunity to experience all the elements so my whole class have scored 30-50 (some). For other areas I have the evidence or knowledge of where they are, does anyone else have this difficulty? In an ideal world i would be able to rely on the transition documents to fill in the gaps but I do not trust their accuracy (as i know for a fact that the playgroup had not done them and when i phoned on the last day of the summer term the playgroup had members of staff quickly highlighting and completing 27 documents in the space of an afternoon!!!!)

deb

I'm struggling to record a baseline for UW and EAD because in the space of 6 weeks children havn't yet had the opportunity to experience all the elements so my whole class have scored 30-50 (some). For other areas I have the evidence or knowledge of where they are, does anyone else have this difficulty? In an ideal world i would be able to rely on the transition documents to fill in the gaps but I do not trust their accuracy (as i know for a fact that the playgroup had not done them and when i phoned on the last day of the summer term the playgroup had members of staff quickly highlighting and completing 27 documents in the space of an afternoon!!!!)

deb

Yes I think a lot of it is hard, physical was incredibly hard as I havnt seen half of that, so I couldn't highlight as i don't want to assume. Ohhhhhhhhhh i dislike these changes. I wish they actually consulted with the people who use and implement these documents. xx

Hi,

As I have borrowed many great ideas and formats from this forum I thought It was about time I shared something! I've created this as a way of tracking children's progress. I plan to update it termly and use it for analysis.

I'm not sure how other people feel, but we were assured that with the new EYFS curriculum that there would be less ;paperwork' for teachers. Maybe it's because it's still so new and I'm getting used to it, but I'm finding (in reception) that it's more work!

progress tracker.docx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)