Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

C*******s carol help needed

I had a phone call last night from someone at our village church and she wants us to choose a line from a carol and make decorations from it to decorate a small tree in the church. Any ideas for a line from a carol that will give us scope to make decorations that will interest the children. I have thought about while shepards watched their flocks as we could do sheep and shepards. Any ideas welcomed.

I know loads of songs we could do but they are not carols!!!

Now all that is left for me to say is....

BAH HUMBUG!!

cor bit early but....#

the holly and the ivy.....(wreaths made with green rice/pva and decorated)

Hark the herald angels.....angels!

We three kings.....3 large kings?? or lots of little ones?

Away in a manger, no crib for a bed.......(the stable animals/crib baby etc etc)

...i'll go and have another think!

Ahh thanks you guys that is a fantastic help, I am most definitly a keep C*******s in December kind of person and this year people are putting demands on our group to do loads of decorations and competition stuff before December even gets here :angry: :angry: :angry:

I do promise that on the 1st December my C*******s loving side will emerge!!

Thanks for the help will decide with the group what we will do. :D

Where do the children's interests begin - sounds quite adult led?? What songs do the children know? Can the children make some suggestions? What are your intentions within the 3 Prime Areas in respect of HOW the children are learning in relation to the Characteristics of effective learning (How are/will they be involved and actively learning through this?). Me - bah humbug never. Love Christmas just thought I would throw this your way as food for thought. Hopefully it will be done by the children and not one done by adults - seen too many of those. They look lovely but have heard little ones when asked who did what display answer my teacher!!

• Like 1

Have you been given a date for these decorations to be done or a reason to do this so early? Some Churches have tree festivals for example? It is quite good for the children to feel involved in Christmas in the Church, especially if there is some sort of link such as a Church group or school. It is part of being in a community. If it isn't for something special I would explain that we don't 'do Xmas' until December and why you don't.

As this is for a Church a religious Carol would be best, but one suitable for your children, so if they are young a lot of Carols are not really appropriate, so the activity would have little meaning. Is there something you are planning to teach them to sing as part of your Christmas which you could adapt? I'd go for something like making stars, as you could leave out lots of suitable collage materials and let them get on with it.

• Like 1

Guest TinklePrincess

Just curious (if I were a cat I'd have been killed years ago!)... why are you *starring* out the word Christmas? Is it because it's not December yet or is there some forum rule that I've missed?

I suggest you do 'Little Drummer Boy' and send all your little angels round to her manger to bang on their drums!

Oh how I would love to!!!

Just curious (if I were a cat I'd have been killed years ago!)... why are you *starring* out the word Christmas? Is it because it's not December yet or is there some forum rule that I've missed?

No I just cannot stand all the C*******S adverts being on the tele and my local radio station is playing C*******s songs every hour and we have our pre-school festive fundraising fete this weekend. I just think it should all be kept in December.

Edited to say: I sound like a right old grump but I am not really!!

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 1

Where do the children's interests begin - sounds quite adult led?? What songs do the children know? Can the children make some suggestions? What are your intentions within the 3 Prime Areas in respect of HOW the children are learning in relation to the Characteristics of effective learning (How are/will they be involved and actively learning through this?). Me - bah humbug never. Love Christmas just thought I would throw this your way as food for thought. Hopefully it will be done by the children and not one done by adults - seen too many of those. They look lovely but have heard little ones when asked who did what display answer my teacher!!

Rest assured ALL our displays and craft projects are 100% child completed and I feel very strongly about this and trying hard not to take offence at the implication that it would be anything but child completed. Now for what I am about to say I may be struck done by the powers that be but... this is just a craft project for the local church and we are doing it because it will be special for the children and their families to be involved in a village celebration. I am not thinking about learning intentions or charecterisitics for this one, it will not even form part of my C*******s planning. Why would it? the children do not know any carols our C*******s songs are SO much more fun. (No thunder bolt has struck me yet typing this)

We are going to do " While shepards watched" and the CHILDREN can cut out and glitter stars, they can go nuts with the cotton wool on the sheep and make toilet roll shepards(ok these may require a little adult support) and I think there may even be a paper plate angel on the top of the tree.

• Like 2

While Shepherds Watched sounds brilliant to me Zigzag, and I think the children will have lots of fun and make lots of mess, so that's great. Nowhere in the EY's curriculum does it say that there shouldn't be some adult directed activities, it should be a balance and anyway this sort of thing is a seasonal 'one off'.

Just remember that there will be Easter Eggs in the shops on Boxing Day...mad isn't it!

• Like 1

I thought that I would add that Christmas Carols are any celebratory songs associated with Xmas or Winter and are not necessarily religious in content, although most people think of Carols as the Traditional Christmas Carols sung in Churches. Personally I like the Out Of The Ark Christmas carols/songs for young children as they are easy to learn and lots of fun.

:D ::1a :D Not a forum rule but I think Zigzag was being sensitive to those of us who refuse to acknowledge the c word until December.....preferably the 23rd at the earliest xD :lol: xD

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)