Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

end of year reports

Are the Foundation Stage Profiles going to be used as end of year reports, and therefore go home to parents, or are reception teachers writing reports in addition to completing the profiles?

I would like to know this too since we had an assessment meeting yesterday and couldnt come to an agreement about this.

We havent had any training yet - and only one of the 3 teacher + 6 nursery nurse team will go on the 1 day course-in April !

We think that the booklet is far to 'wordy' for our parents to take in and are reluctant to do the hard work of filling them in for them to end up in the bin ( as the reports do - we've seen them :o )

Hi Unafitz -

First - welcome to the forum. I've sent you a private message - if you go to the top of this page, you should see a link to 'new messages', with at least 1 waiting for you. When you have a moment, please check it! :)

It seems like a catch22 situation doesn't it - you either spend ages filling them in, only to be told all that time was wasted, or you wait to see if they're actually needed - and watch the timeframe narrowing down to the end of the term!

What do other reception teachers think? (I'm not one I'm afraid) I know there are at least a couple of members in reception classes.

Regards, Steve.

In my school we have decided to use the new profiles as a replacement for our old and wordy assessment records. We also think that the Yr1 teachers are more likely to read them as they are easier on the eye than our old records. Unfortunatly we will still have to write separate reports for the parents :o

We are using the FSP booklets as the end of year reports (yippee-or maybe not!). The FSps are going to replace all our other methods of assessments apart from the writing assessments we make at the end of each term (these are levelled against the NC and the P scales). Therefore I'm anticipating that next year's assessments will be less of a challenge than this year, as this year we did Baseline in September in addition to what we are working towards now. I think that when the FSP booklets replace the old written format of end of year reports, they will be easier to understand and give Yr1 teachers a clearer picture of their new pupils abilities, however I do worry about parents reactions if their child hasn't reached the expected attainment by the end of the year R. I'm expecting two of my pupils to have only reached point 3/4 or so in most of the areas of learning (this is approximately equivalent to what a child is expected to be able to do by the time they reach the end of their nursery schooling). As it is so black and white and displayed hierachically it will be so easy for parents to compare their children with others (most of my parents worry if their child is on a different band of a reading scheme to their peers as it is!). At least with the old style written report it was personalised and written in a such a positive way it was easy to reassure parents of less able children that their children are making progress. What does anyone else think?

Jen.

• 2 weeks later...

We are writing scaled-down personal reports to give to parents at the end of the summer term. Just summarising the FSPs really, but it means that the profiles themselves will go up to the Year 1 teachers and be useful (hopefully!) during the first half of the autumn term. Who knows, we may follow Wales and extend the Foundation Stage up to age 7, and an extended version of the profiles could be used right through :D

I know writing reports as well as completing the profiles is increasing the workload, but it's better than sending parents home with the profiles which are not really parent-friendly

I thgought we could use them as reports but my head has said i have to write reports in addition to filling in Foundation stage profiles seems like an awful lot of extra work i hope the union will take it up soon before we all go under. there seems little point in the information anyway as it is so non specific and too much for year 1 teachers to take notice of.

That's a really interesting point, Sally. I haven't had any contact with year 1 teachers; do most of them think that the FSPs are too detailed to take much notice of? I'm beginning to think we should contact as many year 1 teachers as we can, and get them to join this discussion to add their viewpoint. If it really is the case that the FSPs are not going to be used in Year 1, then they should go home to parents instead of reports. I'm sure if the FSPs are presented to parents at parents' evenings, and their individual child discussed as usual, then surely additional reports are not necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know from discussing it with the head and key stage 1 co-ordinator), what we're going to do is to use the document to show progress at termly parents evenings, keep them in school - report as normal - which is basically a list of what the child can do (which the profiles will help with), followed by a handwritten comment from me and the headteacher about how they've settled / targets for next year and use them as part of the child's assessment file.

... as for passing them to the year 1 teacher... well I am the year 1 teacher too :o I'd find them useful for children coming into the school to gauge where they are at relative to the rest of the class - but when a new child comes in the documentation usually shows up about a month later when you've had to figure it all out for yourself xD

• 2 months later...

Hi I am all for using the FSP booklets as a report to parents, but feel that parents will still like personal comments on their child, that are personal and pertinent to them. I would like to use the comments boxes in the FSP to do this, but would like to be able to type in and add comments throughout the year via the computer - l do not want to go back to handwriting everything now that I can type at a fair rate!! To do this I need the FSP in word document and have asked my LEA if it can supply it in this format. They will, but cannot promise anything at the mo, and QCA have not come up with the goods yet. Do you know of any web site or LEA that has done this yet?

Hi, We have this year written end of year reports as well as starting on the Pupil Profils-in Reception. We follow the same format as nursery as it is a more parent friendly recording and talks about childrens personal achievemnets rather than highlighting those areas that the child cannot yet do. Our profiles will be passes to the year 1 teachers and stored in their school files.

I would also like to know if CD versions are available and................Does anyone see benefits to starting the Profiles in Nursery and continuing them into reception, giving a final accountability at the end of Yr. R

Hopeful :o

Hi Lani/Hopeful -

Many people have mentioned that they'd like to see an editable form of the FSP, but I haven't found one yet. You know, presumably, that the QCA have electronic versions for you to download on their site? But these are in PDF format and only useful for printing out, not editing. Anyway, in case you haven't come across it yet, you can access the page by clicking here.

I think it would be interesting to try to agree a list of features we'd like to see a CD version of the profile containing. I guess the most basic would be a Word format document which you could just save as different files and fill in for each of your children. But a more complex database program one might be much more flexible. If you were able to enter all the standard FSP information into a record for each child, it would then be much more simple to do regular updates for each child by calling up the childs name from a list, then entering the relevant details.

You could then think about adding in a number of extra fields with the sort of report based text, which leaves you room to be a bit more personal about the child. Then it would be possible to click one button which would generate a profile, or another which would use some of the same information but stick additional bits in for a parent's report. Doesn't that sound nice :D ?

The only thing I wonder about generating your own reports is that whereas you order complete booklets from QCA or wherever, you would have to be responsible for providing the paper and printer equipment to generate dozens of FSP's yourself. Would this be a problem for reception teachers?

The profile software means that unless you need hard copies you can keep all the info on disc.

So if you are writing reports as normal you do not need to keep profiles in hard form.

You can print of different versions of the profile too from the disc and class assessment charts too. (the profiles are the same length 13 pages whichever format) and agree it would be good to be able to edit them.

Remember it is the points that are compulsory not the booklets themselves and the points can be recorded in any form you choose. (school/LEA agreement) depending on who is making the decisions.

• 2 months later...
As far as I know from discussing it with the head and key stage 1 co-ordinator), what we're going to do is to use the document to show progress at termly parents evenings, keep them in school - report as normal - which is basically a list of what the child can do (which the profiles will help with), followed by a handwritten comment from me and the headteacher about how they've settled / targets for next year and use them as part of the child's assessment file.

... as for passing them to the year 1 teacher... well I am the year 1 teacher too :o I'd find them useful for children coming into the school to gauge where they are at relative to the rest of the class - but when a new child comes in the documentation usually shows up about a month later when you've had to figure it all out for yourself :(

we sent our profile documents home as an end of year report and a copy of the achieved items to year 1 .... as far as i know the yr 1 staff have had a brief look at them... however the document from ofsted discussing the education of 6 year olds in finland denmark and the uk that landed in school over the summer seems to indicate that year 1 is going to be a future target for change... perhaps then the profile will make more sense in its current level of detail./ xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)