Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Moving to a mobile classroom

Hi all,

We are looking into getting a mobile classroom built and hoping to place it on the grounds of a local primary school and plan to offer pre-school sessions in the morning and an after school club.

Has anyone got any advice on how to approach the schools? and what we need to ask them etc.?

Also, any ideas of how we can get the money? our only idea at the minute is to get finance from the building company (they do offer this option) or a loan from the bank

I know there is lots to think about and we want to find everything out before we get started!!

Any advice at all would be brilliant :1b

my setting did something similar a few years ago - a little before my time, we are in a small village and the primary school were really keen on having us on site. Speak to your LA and local primary schools to gauge interest and see if it is actually possible.

we looked into a portacabin ...but were only able to get grants for a solid ( but temporary) structure..also the primary school wanted a say in what type and style of building it was, we have to pay a peppercorn rent to the LA for the lease of the land.

You need to think about the water, sewerage, electricity, telephone etc also - is the school able to allow you to feed from their supply...or do you need your own ? - we feed from the school and pay for what we use.

The telephone line was an issue , as BT wanted to charge a small fortune for our own independent line...luckily the school fed us into their system, and we have an extension number.

All our post goes to the school...as we were unable to register our address as a postal address ( cant remember why tho !)

• Like 1

We did the same a couple of years ago....we were lucky enough to get capital funding from county for a modular building, I think fimbo has pretty much covered everything you need to consider, I'd approach the governing body of schools that have the space to accommodate you first, and sorting utilities was the hardest part really, we have our own address.

Possibly do both....do you have good working relationships already with any of the schools ? If yes maybe an informal chat with head would be a good starting place....good luck, it was hard work, and more than once I questioned why I was doing this but it was def worth it in the end.

Edited by mouse63
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)