Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Use Of Jewellery In Role Play

Hi folks!

Just wondering what everyone does about using jewellery, particularly necklaces in nursery, i.e. dressing up & role play. My Mum gave me a few necklaces "for the children" (only cheap) which I haven't yet put out for risk of causing a H&S issue. Obviously their use would be supervised, but I don't know whether it's just safer to dispose of them?

Thanks!

Hi there,

It seems such a shame that we have to continually question the use of fun items! I remember swanning around the house in mum's old beads thinking I was the bees knees, wobbling about in her heels and old skirts dragging on the floor - why deprive the children of these simple pleasures? I suppose you could restring them if they're very long, to make them less of a risk - you could make matching bracelets then! I think there's more of a risk from the injudicious use of skipping ropes and hoops, to be honest.

Just an opinion, but why not try and see?

Sue :D

Hi,

I agree with sue. The fact that you've thought about safety should be applauded though. Consider the risks, (strangulation, tripping, getting caught up in...) then how you can best eliminate them. Why not, as Sue suggests rethread, but using elasticated thread.

HAVE FUN :D

Peggy

Hi, (long time no type) anyway, there is a knot you can use which comes undone if the string is pulled or caught up in something. We used to use it on necklaces (and ponies halters when I was young[er]!)

Unfortunatly I cant demonstrate it for you but it worked well. :D

You need a boy scout :o

Aha!!

But I have one xD , well ex, obviously, he's a few decades too old now :o If I manage to master it I'll try to post!!

Why, hello young Rea!!!!!!! Where have you been hiding? Please come back more often, I don't look such a dunderhead when you're around!! (she rapidly ducks........)

Sue :D

I have found that many of the old beads have snapped under the ownership of the under fives without too much force. I inherited some that belonged to someones granny and I checked what they were threaded on and seemed to be a couple of strands of worn cotton. I suppose the newer nylon types might be worth rethreading tho as they are less likely to break with a tug. I used to love dressing up in beads and high heels - still do really!

Ive never used "old" necklaces but have provided cracker fillers etc and the children love them so much.

This brings back visions of the not so little boy who always made a beeline for the dressing up clothes and sported as many necklaces as he could put on before the girls managed to stop him, then with shoes and socks discarded he was ready to do anything he was asked!!

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)