Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

profile judgements

Hi,

I am interested to know if anyone else has been on profile judgements training? I attended last week and we looked through all the ELGs and age bands in Dev. Matters with a view to how to make judgements for the FSP in June for emerging, expected and exceeding. Looking closely at some of the wording of the ELGs it was pointed out that they equate to Level 1 NC and therefore if we are to assess any children with exceeding we need to be showing evidence that they are achieving Level 2 ! so it's not very likely we'll been making exceeding judgements.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Guest suchfun

Cynically I would say it is about beating with a stick, those schools with intakes which will be totally unable to achieve this - and so ..................... let's turn them into academies! More money for the Government! Yay.

Stay in teaching for as long as I have and you will see it all again and again - can't wait for next 5 years!

Suchfun!

The judgement of exceeding doesn't have an equivalence per se it just means a child is beyond the goals so a child could technically be a genius at level 3 but would still have the exceeding judgement just as a child at 22-36 and another one at 40-60 but not elg would both be emerging. Sta have said the exceeding guidance is a work in progress because obviously we have the amended eyfs before the new nc. I also think we need to look at the elg wording through the prism of child development. After all we often say the same thing, like expresses needs and we know it looks different at 2 years old to 5 years but we use the same judgement in words. There are changes in emphasis but having done a comparison between the frameworks the majority are at a broadly similar pitch I think although the c and l, lit and maths have the most changes in emphasis. However getting the goal as an expected outcome has less wriggle room than getting an expected outcome across 5 possible elements which is where the challenge lies.

Edited by catma
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)