Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Career Dilema

Ive got a bit of a dilema......

I run my own business as a child minder and work 55-60hrs a week (not including courses and paperwork etc). To be honest Im getting a bit fed up of it really and its my own fault. Some of the parents take advantage ie arriving at 7.09am when their start time is 7.30am! The same family have also asked me to give their child breakfast at 7.30 as they 'dont have time'. They then tell me the child is getting up at 5am, how can they not have time in 2.5hrs!! Ive just let it go though and now its too late to do anything about it.

Anyway, I have been looking at finishing child minding and working outside the home. I am applying for a job, term time, at a playgroup.

My dilema is...

My youngest daughter is 7yrs so will have to attend before/after school club.

I wont earn as much.

I will have no money in school holidays so wont be able to do anything with my children anyway.

How will I cope going back to working for someone else when Ive been used to working for myself?

Worried about letting people down who rely on me for childcare - one child starts at 6.45am.

BUT

My daughter wont have to have children she doesnt like in her home - shes been repeatedly bitten and hit by one particular child.

I will get the school hols to spend time with all 3 of my children.

Get my home back.

Hopefully less stressful.

Sorry to go on a bit, but has anyone else been in this position. I am worried about leaving child minding and then hating it and having to start up all over again.

maybe write down a list with pro's on one side and con's on the other to consolidate your thinking. If you decide to move on make sure the job you are going for is right for you. ...for instance my staff are paid year round so no issue with holiday pay. You are probably going to earn less (can you afford this) but you will be repaid by the time you get to spend with your children (though it may not feel like that sometimes!) holidays do not need to be expensive....you just need to get creative and as a childminder i'm sure you can do that!

...easy to talk about of course as it's not me in your position!...good luck ;)

Personally i think the chance of working outside of home would suit you perfectly at the moment.

Depending on how many hours you work per week it may be that your wages would be spread over the whole year - and dont forget you will eventually be eligible for holiday pay.

You will get your house back and time with your children and that can never be bought - and during the holidays there are things you can do that cost little or nothing - parks , picnics , walks, library - find out about things happening locally that are free - sure there are more local to you.

Things may be tight be financially for you but you will be flexible so can make that known if / when you get a job and tell them are available for sick cover etc.,

good luck and let us know what you decide x

The hardest part is working for someone else, but if the playgroup you're thinking of applying at is good enough to apply to, then they probably have the same ethos as yourself. Think also that if you're ot in charge you wont have so many responsibilities, less paperwork, maybe not so many courses if others can fill those roles, support for your own practice, I imagine childminding can get lonely without someone to bounce ideas off.

The money is an aspect that only you can decide on. Can you afford it with a few tweeks? Like Finleysmaid and Blondie have said, holidays need not be expensive, I used to take my 2 and my friends 3 to all sorts of places for minimal amounts and you'll be more than capable of thinking up activities for rainy days.

I would say this though, if you stay in childmindng, you need to take back some of your life. Be firm with hours or charge considerabley more for extras. Good luck whatever you decide :D

I was going to say that although I work term time only, my pay is split equally over the 12 months so that shouldnt be an issue if you can find a term time only job!!

As for the actual rate of pay, maybe it will be less than you earn now but with less overheads too I would think.

Also maybe your daughter wouldnt need before AND afterschool care. One of my staff does one of the pick ups or drop offs each day. Depends on the job obviously.

Good luck!

it's been said already so good luck and definately do the list of pros and cons , it helped me when i decided to move settings and undertake a new position , and with all your experience - i would bite your hand off to come if you had applied for a job at our setting.

Have faith in yourself and the future and as I always say - better to regret something you have done than something you haven't :D

Thanks for all your help

Ive still not made a decision but will have a good think over the weekend.

As you say, I might be worse off financially but would gain more time with my own children which is precious.

Thanks again, will let you know what I decide to do.

Joanne

Guest sn0wdr0p

I stopped childminding because of the impact on my children. They hated having to share toys even though they had their own toys which were meant to be kept on their bedrooms but of course inevitably they brought them down. I also found parents were not overly bothered if they were late as they assumed I had nothing else to do but stay at home wicih impacted on the time I could sit down for a meal with my family and yes they started to come earlier in the morning as well!

However, I set up my own nursery and OOS club 5 years ago. I could not imagine working for someone else. I enjoy making my own decisions and having the autonomy to do so. I find I also have a lot more freedom not being tied to the house so much and can take a day off when needed which was impossible before. I could not go to events at the school, visit the doctors, or even worse was trying to get to the dentist as appointments were only available during the times I worked which as you know are usually very long -7.00am -6.15pm for me.

Good luck with your decision. Sometimes making these decisions are so hard. I was lucky that I could work for myself but still face the dilemma about the impact of my work on my children and regularly consider just closing the door and being a stay ay home mum.

Some great advice. I'd just like to add that things do change. Depending on the children's ages it may be that some may leave soon and you could take on new business with firmer conditions. Also your own children's needs will be changing too. My youngest is almost eight and his activities (and also independence) have changed. so now I find after school children mean that it;s difficult to get to activities. Have a think about what might change come September's new school year. Don't burn any bridges.

Regarding breakfasts - obviously really bugging you - I set times for meals so that all children present at that time are expected to be having a meal. It really used to bug me that I'd serve tea at 4.30, but some parents wanted to pick up at 5 expecting to feed their own children (and an adjustment in account). This meant some children playing while most eating - not conducive to good dining habits. Maybe you could do breakfast for all (including your own) at 7.30 or 8am to prevent doubling up on the work and charge accordingly. I made a rod for my own back by serving pancakes (wholemeal of course) on Thursdays. The children grew up and ended up eating four each which meant I'd be making thirty pancakes! But the children have changed, and so has the number of pancakes, and I see a time when I can just do toast and cereal (may be a couple of years away yet).

I also work term time only which may be something you could work towards. A good work-life balance.

Do your sums and I wish you all the very best with your choices.

Honey.

I stopped childminding because of the impact on my children. They hated having to share toys even though they had their own toys which were meant to be kept on their bedrooms but of course inevitably they brought them down. I also found parents were not overly bothered if they were late as they assumed I had nothing else to do but stay at home wicih impacted on the time I could sit down for a meal with my family and yes they started to come earlier in the morning as well!

Only 30mins ago I had the problem with the toys :( arguing over my daughters dolls - it all ended in tears as usual. I can so relate to this Snowdrop.

Perhaps opening my own playgroup/oosc so I am away from the house would be a good idea and certainly something to look into.

Hi Honey, The problem with the breakfasts is that most of them have it at home and they all arrive at different times - anything from 6.45-8.00. I had thought about child minding term time only but was a bit worried that there wouldnt be the demand for places for the under 5s.

Youve all given me a lot to think about.

Thank you

Hi Joanne Louise,

I just read your post and have to say - it is not too late to change things. I work in a play center and some parents also 'push the limits'. You really dont have to let them continue to do this. If you write things down very clearly and send emails setting out your regulations, why can't they change their behaviour? Sure they might moan, but you can state that you have other commitments (your family) and that this is the way things are going to be from now on. You can always give them a time frame of maybe a week to make better arrangements for their child to get to your house on time.

You could also just not answer the door! Put your notice on your door where they can read it very clearly, after you have written, spoken, emailed, etc. and then just ignore them. They can wait in their car or wait outside. i don't think it will take too long before they start coming later.

As to the child who is biting, hitting your daughter - if you have been working with the parents to improve their behaviour and it is just not happening and you find it too stressful for your daughter, well do you need to keep them? Can you just not replace them with different customers?

I hope you find either a great job or the strength to make changes to your successful business.

Kerry

Ive made my decision............ Stay in child minding but change to term time in september! This seems the best option as I get to go term time but if it doesnt work out I can easily go back to full time. Ive also booked the easter hols off so Im looking forward to that.

The family that arrive early text yesterday morning to say they would be arriving late at 7.30. I pointed out that this was their start time anyway. Mum texted 'oops yes sorry'.

Today they arrived at 7.15!! I was upstairs hiding but my wonderful 7yr old answered the door.

Think this family will leave when I go term time as they need full time child care.

Thanks again for all your help and advice

Glad to hear you've made a decision that will work for you.. You might like to consider how you manage your exit strategy. You may be able to check out other childminders and offer alternative arrangements for families and so come out smelling of roses. A big mistake I made when I first started childminding was to resign as soon as I didn't know how to manage a situation. The family I needed rid of talked themselves back into the setting when alternative arrangements didn't work out same reason I wanted out), and the family I wanted left owing notice and bad feelings have taken five years to overcome.

All the very best,

Honey

They know another child minder who looks after the child when on hols. Just hope she has a space in september for him. Im hoping mum doesnt say oh I'll make other arrangements for the hols and keep him with you term time ha ha . Although at least Id get a break in the hols.

Most of the children I have before/after school are term time only. Theres only 2 children to sort out. One of them is my daughters best friend so she will probably come round to play anyway.

Thanks for your advice Honey. I will give it some serious consideration. I came into child minding thinking it was an easy option with having children. Its turned out to be one of the hardest, and mainly most rewarding, jobs Ive ever done.

Do you find there is enough demand for term time child care - apart from the before/after schoolers?

I think if you're available all week term-time you should be able to cobble together a good selection of teachers and students (don't forget the students - might mean being a bit flexible in your definition of 'term-time' but they pay well) to fill all your places. My problem is that I only want to work three days which is a bit of a restriction. I have places I just can't fill at the moment but absolutely chockers with babies come September which should keep me going for a few years.

You're right about childminding being hard but rewarding.

Keep going,

Honey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)