Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Rhyming string activities

My children all have a pretty good awareness of rhyme and we've done several of the activities from phase 1 letters and sounds. I want to move them on to generating a rhyming string both orally and in writing. This is something I've found really hard in the past and they always seem to do word association instead!

We've made rhyming paper chains in the past and worked to see which starter word could have the longest chain but quite honestly I'm a bit bored with that and don't think that's a great start to an activity!

Has anyone done anything to do with this objective which has grabbed their children?

we regularly do this as a way of getting the children to line up to go to the bottom room for dismissal - make up a string for their name without saying their name, if you get me - so for casey we might say "macey, racey, lacey, pacey, tacey" then will add their name if they have not responded!!!!!!!!!! also when we play silly soup we say all the objects we put in it, e.g. cat/rat/bat/mat...... then see if anyone can continue it - got 3/4 in my key group who are good at this and love givng nonsense words e.g. zat/lat etc. seems to appeal to their sense of humour :P

in reception we used to do the pebble game - have attached (or tried!!) so hope it might help xprogression in phonics.pdf

Dear sooty,

Where do you get those phonic cards from? I would like them too.

Love

Sweep

we could make a double act - sooty and sweep!! you'll understand if you're as old as me!!!!!!!

i was searching on google for phonics resources i used in reception 5 years ago and found them. playing with sounds was a good resources too - assume it's available online too X

we could make a double act - sooty and sweep!! you'll understand if you're as old as me!!!!!!!

i was searching on google for phonics resources i used in reception 5 years ago and found them. playing with sounds was a good resources too - assume it's available online too X

Am trying but I can't find them. Helppppppp!!

We have found we need to be careful using children's names to base rhymes in. A few years ago we had a parent complaining very strongly that it was 'tantamount to name calling' and 'giving the green light to children to mess with children's names in an inappropriate way.'

Since then we don't do it at all.

Thank you for the links, they look really useful. I will download and read!

We have found we need to be careful using children's names to base rhymes in. A few years ago we had a parent complaining very strongly that it was 'tantamount to name calling' and 'giving the green light to children to mess with children's names in an inappropriate way.'

Since then we don't do it at all.

:o :o :o Just wondered Cait, did said parent have to stay in hospital for a long when she had her sense of fun removed or was it just an outpatient thing? :ph34r:

Honestly - she wouldn't like my setting - I'm afraid that I regularly 'mess' with children's names - that said - only when they are secure with me and will know that this is done 'affectionately' :1b provides a useful tool in my humble.........

Sunnyday/Cait - I hover somewhere in the middle between you two. I used to do it more than I do now but the last couple of years I had a child who would (among many other less than endearing behaviour issues) make a rhyme with someone's name and then repeat it over and over at them - had some in tears and I tried not to give him any more fuel!

Having said that I do it unconsciously all the time - 'please go and tidy Heidi' for starters!

Edited by HelenD26

Sunnyday/Cait - I hover somewhere in the middle between you two. I used to do it more than I do now but the last couple of years I had a child who would (among many other less than endearing behaviour issues) make a rhyme with someone's name and then repeat it over and over at them - had some in tears and I tried not to give him any more fuel!

Having said that I do it unconsciously all the time - 'please go and tidy Heidi' for starters!

Ah - you make a very good point Helen - I haven't encountered that situation at all - if I did I would reconsider! :1b

My children all have a pretty good awareness of rhyme and we've done several of the activities from phase 1 letters and sounds. I want to move them on to generating a rhyming string both orally and in writing. This is something I've found really hard in the past and they always seem to do word association instead!

We've made rhyming paper chains in the past and worked to see which starter word could have the longest chain but quite honestly I'm a bit bored with that and don't think that's a great start to an activity!

Has anyone done anything to do with this objective which has grabbed their children?

Perhaps it would help if you gave each child a list of rhymes e.g.

__ a t

__ a t

__ a t

__ a t

then ask them to fill in the gap at the beginning. When your group have completed this, they could read their list back. Now, can they add more 'at' rhymes to their list?

x

What about turning the children into words (pinning words/pictures on to them) and asking them to hold hands to make the rhyming chain! you could have words that rhyme with one another and words that don't, so they have a smaller group to sort out.

Hope this helps.

Once made the mistake of accidently saying 'Don't be silly Billy'. Children found it really funny and loved the rhyming aspect. It led to lots of name rhymes generated by themselves... was a bit worried about parent's reactions but nothing said... I guess sometimes going with the flow worked.. that time anyway but it could have been awkward at the time I suppose!

I have some rhyming word wheels that the children really enjoy turning around to make lots of different words and I have these out for guided reading time for groups to access independently.

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)