Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Tracking progress

Hi,

This year the LA has asked us to pilot tracking progress through using emerging and securing in each age and stage for each aspect (like PRAMS but without the 'developing' section) - it seems to be working ok - just completed the mid-year assessment - but of course down to interpretation of what 'emerging' and 'securing' actually mean - e.g. 'how much of working within the age and stage means they are 'emerging' in this etc.

What we also do is track each observation so have a format with the aspects down the side and the ages and stages across the top - each obs is numbered and then this number is written in the appropriate aspect and age and stage box that it demonstrates. This allows us to quickly see where the children are upto without scanning through each learning journey and also allows us where we may need to gather more evidence although some areas always end up with less obs than others because we tend to remember certain things more than others! But it is a useful document and helps if (like we're experiencing at the moment) Learning journals are lost!

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

Our LEA have their own progress tracker , i prefer PRAMS does so much more but what I like is you can just use the bits you want

I have my own tracker that staff write on 3 times a year so they can plot progress, i then colate this onto prams

In Essex we have EYFS tracker (In KS1 upwards they have Target Tracker) which we use to track where they are in development matters. It then uses the data to generate charts and reports which show progress in a number of ways which I can print out as evidence for Mr O when he comes.

Mel

x

We use Pupil Tracker (SPTO - School Pupil Tracker Online) at our school - from nursery to Yr 6. Probably very expensive though.

Does anyone have a sheet that can be added to LJ,s that easily shows 'next steps' .....we have obs with next steps, progress trackers, DM's marked off as consistently met (so can see dms to work on) and even though we were able to show ofsted inspector that we know where our children are ( a child was tracked during inspection by inspector, then asked 3 of separately where we thought the child was in terms of eyfs ...luckily all came up with same info for that child....interests, likes, next steps) apparently it wasn't easy for someone to pick up LJ and know exactly what next steps were without knowing the child and looking through a lot of obs etc....

Does anyone have a sheet that can be added to LJ,s that easily shows 'next steps' .....we have obs with next steps, progress trackers, DM's marked off as consistently met (so can see dms to work on) and even though we were able to show ofsted inspector that we know where our children are ( a child was tracked during inspection by inspector, then asked 3 of separately where we thought the child was in terms of eyfs ...luckily all came up with same info for that child....interests, likes, next steps) apparently it wasn't easy for someone to pick up LJ and know exactly what next steps were without knowing the child and looking through a lot of obs etc....

Mouse 63- are you saying the inspector just looked at one child but asked 3 members of staff about that child's progress? I would have expected the child's keyworker to be questioned, but not other staff. Would love to know more as due inspection.

• Like 1

Mouse 63- are you saying the inspector just looked at one child but asked 3 members of staff about that child's progress? I would have expected the child's keyworker to be questioned, but not other staff. Would love to know more as due inspection.

Glad that you asked that - I was wondering too......

• Like 1

Hi....she may have observed other children, but asked the kw, play leader and myself about same child, didn't mention any others...maybe trying to prove her point about needing clearer next steps in LJ's, also carried out joint observation on another member of staff, looked at fire drill dates and evaluations, asked for sef as hadnt seen online version, spent a lot of time speaking with chair and the need for committees to be more involved with monitoring, evaluation and to have a better understanding of the eyfs and not just rely on managers, but then another setting inspected recently was asked to check committee names on list but that was as far as it went, didn't even ask to speak to a committee member, so still pretty inconsistent :/, we were judged good overall with outstanding for well being, points for improvement being to further improve monitoring and evaluation systems and some staff need to use everyday opportunities more to increase awareness of mathematical concepts, so nothing to major. :)

In Essex we have EYFS tracker (In KS1 upwards they have Target Tracker) which we use to track where they are in development matters. It then uses the data to generate charts and reports which show progress in a number of ways which I can print out as evidence for Mr O when he comes.

Mel

x

Are you in pre=school? just wondering as I work in essex and haven't heard of EYFS tracker, is it something your setting has bought ?? sorry for so many questions!

Are you in pre=school? just wondering as I work in essex and haven't heard of EYFS tracker, is it something your setting has bought ?? sorry for so many questions!

I am in a school nursery so Reception use it and therefore we also use it so our children can track through Reception as well. I think as a school we buy into the Target Tracker package (although it maybe an Essex wide schools thing? Not sure. Sorry not to be of more help.

Mel

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)