Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

I have lost a family!?

ok ...interesting problem.

I have a family who went on extended leave to India (WBR family) in Dec. They were due back end of Jan ...or at the latest feb. They are still not back. We have rung /left messages/phoned emergency numbers etc....no response.

I rang SS today....who told me that if i couldn't get hold of them to contact the police and report them as missing :o

They do not owe us money.

I don't have a problem with their place...they were desperate not to lose it. We have a good relationship with them...so i don't think they have done a bunk from us.

I have been round to the house and cannot find any evidence that anyone is there...apart from a small window which is open slightly.

I will drop in a letter and i am going to ring the education dept and see if they have been in contact about school places before i contact the police.

Has anyone ever dealt with something similar? anything else i can do?? :(

Without having been in the same position I'm guessing you would contact the police because they are in a position to contact the police in India, who might be able to tell you if anything has happened to the family while there. It could also be to do with children disappearing from the country or being kept at home like Victoria Climbie was, when the parents said she was being home schooled. It wouldnt hurt to have a chat with the police, tell them SS have advised you to and see what they say. It could be they're just having a lovely time and dont realise the trouble its caused.

Edited by Rea
  • Like 2

thanks both....i don't have an issue with talking to the police and agree this needs to be done ...just wondering if there were any other lines of enquiry i hadn't thought of.

Yes sunnyday i have a phone number but no answer there...the family dont live round here so i can't pop in and i don't think there are any friends i can talk to.

SS were not really worried but i got the distinct impression they thought i was being a bit daft! <_<

What a difficult situation. I suppose if the family isn't 'known' to SS then maybe they're not concerned. I think I would share your concerns though. It seems strange that you can't get hold of any emergency contacts. Are these all family? I'm guessing the child is an only child, so no children at school? Does the child/family have friends at your setting who might know? Or are they the type of people who are just having a lovely time and aren't under pressure of jobs etc to come back to wet, cold, grey England? Do let us know what happens. I hope they're all safe,,,but I'm intrigued!

Hope the family appreciate your concern

Hummm well i'll worry about that when i find them!! :P

only emergency contact is an elderly granny who was ill when they left and is being looked after by the uncles...but no response on that phone. No other siblings...no friends. Dad works as a contractor on a building site so has no fixed job...Mum doesn't work...!

• 2 weeks later...

ahah...guess what...had a phone call from India today!! (connected to the letter i put through their door saying i had to contact the police maybe?????!!!)

They will be back on Monday...they have had everything stolen...bad time apparently..humm i'll see. Anyway at least i've found them and i can stop worrying that they are being held at gun point somewhere! :oxD

• Like 3

......... well I have to be totally honest,

If I'd had a bad time with stolen possessions etc - I think that phoning a pre-school about about a place I don't legally have to send my child would be the last thing on my mind!! :D ::1a

However, that said- good for you finleysmaid for showing concern in the first place :1b :1b

xxx

PS - that's not supposed to sound sarcastic :mellow: xxxxx

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this several times with families from overseas. They often extend their trip and tbh we are the last thing on their mind. Well done you for following it up tho - it was above and beyond

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)